Default Cut away Burr comb?

New Beek here. Due to the crappy cold rainy weather, we've only been able to do a 72 hour inspection on our two new hives until today, at the two week mark. During that 14 day period, we only had a couple days of sunshine, and only a couple where the temp got above 55 or so. So I did a hive inspection today on both. No smoke, but suited up. They were very docile I think. When I got into the first 5 frames and pull them I do see some cells capped with white tops, flat. Some cells with clear liquid, pollen in cells. I did not see what I would think were eggs, but I did see other bees with heads down in some other cells. Frames appeared loaded with bees on both sides so it was hard to see much unless I held it and waited for things to move around. I tried to keep the hives open for no more than 15 minutes or so. Temp today at near 56 and sunshine.
    QUESTIONS: There was comb built across two of the frames, holding them together, and another clump of comb that was not within the confines of the frame. I took my tool and cut these off, and tried to clean up the areas. Would this have been what is called "Burr comb" and did I do right by removing it?
    Will the bees take that comb I removed and re-cycle it into the hive if I leave it with them?
    The capped cells as I mentioned were white looking. What I've read is that brood cells when capped look like brown paper bag color. My wife did take photos of what we saw, (none available right now) but any available
    information or knowledge would be most appreciated. I might be able to post some pics later.
    Now that we know things are 'progressing' with these colonies, when should the next inspection take place? When a hive is opened up like this, what keeps the queen from just flying away? Is it because she's always busy laying?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Cut away Burr comb?

1) Congrats on your new hives!

2) Laying queens, although they technically *can* fly off on occasion, VERY rarely do...especially when there's brood to be cared for

3) Comb that attaches a frame/comb to another frame/comb is called "Bridge Comb," if it attaches a frame/comb to the wall of the hive box, it's called "brace comb," and comb that the bees build somewhere completely outside of where they should be building is called "Burr Comb." That said, the only real difference, In My Honest Opinion, between the three is what you call them; all three can be safely removed & discarded, or melted down to make use of the wax. I would recommend NOT giving the removed comb back to the bees, though, as they'll often decide to use it as a "starting point" to build more sloppy comb on you.

4) As long as you're not fumbling frames & smashing a lot of bees, you should be fine checking on the girls once a week, but try to avoid disturbing them more than that for the first month or two.
    Last edited by robherc; 04-21-2013 at 02:03 AM. Reason: typo

Here is a link to an old thread with pictures of capped brood and honey:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...mes-with-honey

Towards the bottom, Joseph Clemens has posted 2 excellent pictures of capped brood and capped honey. Note that as brood gets older, the cappings turn a darker brown, so you can tell whether the cells were capped recently or are getting ready to hatch by the color.

Thanks to you two for the information and the photos. That puts my mind at ease a bit. I was finally able to upload some images. After looking at the links you gave me, I think ours are capped honey. At what point of development (days) does the brood get sealed in their cells? http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/ma...tion%204-20-13

The brood is sealed on the 9th day after the egg is laid and the bee emerges on the 20th day (plus or minus a day depending on cell size and temperatures). One of the best websites to answer a lot of your questions is Michael Bush's site: http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Well, photobucket's not letting me comment there, but your brood looks about 2-3 days from capping off in the "On The Frame" pic you uploaded...btw, did you notice the queen in that shot? Be interesting to see how many ppl spot her as she's in a somewhat abnormal position for a queen to get her pic taken in

I'm curious to know how do you see the queen bee in the pic?
    I cannot find her in her abnormal position.

007, I thought the queen cell is sealed on the 8th day and the queen bee will emerged on the 16th day. Am I correct here?
    How do you get the 20th day? I'm looking at the queen rearing calendar. Let me understand your thinking a bit here from
    what perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    I'm curious to know how do you see the queen bee in the pic?
    I cannot find her in her abnormal position.
    All that's visible is her abdomen, she has her head and thorax down inside a cell (I'm guessing she's checking to see if it's open to lay in...haven't seen a queen in that position for any other reason @ least. Look ever so slightly left of center, about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the pic; her abdomen is slightly more brown than the rest in the shot, and has the "normal" longer/narrower queenly shape.

If you are referring to this left pic then I don't think it is a queen bee abdomen.
    A queen bee will have solid color pattern rather than a strip by strip worker color pattern.
    And is certainly longer than that because I see the softer grayish spot by the thorax but
    not a typical darker color by it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry, that's not her.....

OK, here's a spoiler:
    QueenBooty.JPG

Still hard to see her. Maybe you are right, I am not sure though.

BeePro, I think he was asking about worker brood, not queen brood. You are correct about queen cells, but worker brood takes longer.

Quote Originally Posted by robherc View Post
    All that's visible is her abdomen, she has her head and thorax down inside a cell (I'm guessing she's checking to see if it's open to lay in...haven't seen a queen in that position for any other reason @ least. Look ever so slightly left of center, about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the pic; her abdomen is slightly more brown than the rest in the shot, and has the "normal" longer/narrower queenly shape.
    Wow! No I didn't see her. One of the reasons we took so many frame pics though is to load them on our computers and then play "Where's Waldo" and look for the queen. I'm good at spotting drones. spotting a queen will have to be a learned skill.

Oops, 007 my bad. I was thinking about the queen since he mention about it flying. Sorry!

When you have eggs then the queen will be nearby. To find her easier we mark them too.
    That way you are able to spot her at a glance. I marked my queen red this year because
    finding her with 10,000 bees is not easy for me though I have good eyesight.

Dups