Default Old frames with Honey and new Nuc?

Last year I installed a good package of bees, but failed to feed them after a large storm destroyed most of the vegetation in the area. I did feed them good before winter, but they just were not strong enough to survive the winter. I have a new nuc coming in a few weeks, so I cleaned out the hive in preparation. While doing that I left the 5 good frames that had significant amounts of honey both capped and uncapped in the hive, I would estimate that those frames on average are half full. Further I placed them on the outsides so the nuc could drop into the middle.

This seems like the correct thing to do, but I am not 100% confident. I feel that I should still feed 1;1 when the nuc arrives and be read to drop a new deep on-top fairly early. I would love to hear some comment and thoughts.

Default Re: Old frames with Honey and new Nuc?

Scrape the capping just a tool scrape accross so they can smell it and you are good to go. Feed feed feed.

You would have been better off with a package of bees as you have drawn frames to give so they will have an advantage to begin with. There is no harm feeding 1:1 syrup but make sure they have water as they need water to processs honey.

Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    You would have been better off with a package of bees as you have drawn frames to give so they will have an advantage to begin with. There is no harm feeding 1:1 syrup but make sure they have water as they need water to processs honey.
    I would have preferred to do a package, but the keeper I wanted to buy from was out of packages when I called In. I realize that I am I starting with the cards stacked in my direction pretty hard, I am actually a little concerned about swarming actual

Sure, you're fine. I like to make sure they have enough space for the queen to lay as well but it sounds like your half full frames will be OK in that area. Keep an eye on them as far as population goes if you think they start to take off. I've had first year nucs swarm after putting them into a well stocked 10 frame box (carniolans, which can ramp up quick). In fact, in one day I had a strong, wintered over hive and two, just bought within the previous month nuc's swarm all at once. My fault for not recognizing that they needed space when I hived them.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

The advantage of the nuc is that you will have brood in all stages. They will be growing from day one. A package is depopulating for at least 3 to 4 weeks before they start building population again.

I prefer packages because they are cheaper than nucs and you don't have to deal with frames of unknown origin. For the last two years I have been buying packages and giving them drawn combs and they build up fast so I am able to get some honey in August. Towards end of July I pull the queen and make the hive queenless. With no brood and the flow by mid August i get a good crop. I also get a few queen cells that i used to make nucs. So far none of my nucs made it through the winter but I will keep trying.

If your area has no flows now, then I'd feed. Otherwise, being spring now, I don't think I'd feed since they have stores in the hive now, and the spring flows are on. Just keep watch on them, and add them a box when the one they are in is full of bees.

Protect those honey frames until your nuc arrives. Unprotected, they could be robbed out in a couple of days.