Default How close should water be?

I have two new hives. We live in the county in the middle of fields with few other houses nearby. There is a winding stream which runs about 150 yards away from the hives. Should I provide a water source closer for the bees? There is maybe one other home closer to the hives than the stream is. Any other homes are further away than that water source, so I'm not asking from so much a bees becoming a nuisance standpoint as from the basis of how close do bees want their water to be.

Default Re: How close should water be?

your fine.. if its within 1/2 mile your okay.... closer is handier for the bees... but not an issue

You are absolutely fine! Happy Beekeeping!

The closer the better so they don't have to fly far away from their hives.
    I put mine only 3 feet away. They are happy bees!
    But yours is o.k. too.

They'll go where they want but closer is better for a lot of reasons. Often, mine fly right by the chicken waterer I've give them only to then fly over the top of the house and circle down for the bird bath. Other times they are all over the nice, close chicken waterer. In my home yard, the waterer is 15 feet from the hives.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

IMHO, unless you're in a desert, a water source only serves to keep the neighbors and constable happy. The girls do what they please.

My bees collect water primarily from my stock ponds in my sheep pasture (about 375' away from the hives), and my duck run (about 450' away); but I generally also notice several hitting a swampy area of soil about 300' from their boxes, at the very closest corner of the sheep pasture. With that in mind, I'm pretty sure a natural stream at somewhere near 450' will be just fine (p.s. the year before I started keeping my own bees, the hive that had set up in the corner of a nearby neighbors' house was using my ponds HARD (i.e. about 1000+ bees collecting water at each pond, at one time, during summer days), and it was about a 300-400 yard trip to either pond for them!

Kind of like said, the water close is just to help them go closer so they don't bug others. If the neighbor had a pool, they might go there before the stream, but I'd say 1/4 mile is fine. Just remember that the wings of bees have a shelf life and the father they travel for stuff, and stuff, the more the wings wear out and the bees die. I have planted 20 plants for them just to help them not to have to go so far. Just helps a little.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

MrHappy, I am just like you first year starting out too.
    bee keeping, eh? Welcome to the club. Just like you I like to help out also.

2nd year here and the closer the better. Mine will try drinking from standing water in plant saucers only feet from the hive.

This is actually second year for me, I haven't had a chance to get to my computer so I can change the signature. I loved it so much the first year though that I now have started a business, Happy Bees, and have 10 hives in my backyard in the middle of the city and 6 more at other people's houses and I do swarm removals. It's great fun. I hope to have another 15 deployed by the end of the year. I do free teaching of how to keep bees to anyone willing to take a hive so I can get more out there. I just sell the honey as my profit.