Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Record Keeping for Beeks

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I think you could take the millions of credit cards / debit cards that are thrown into the land fill a.......of all conditions.
    Not sure how to use that idea.

I don't have but 3 hives. I keep a journal (not a diary) listing date and what was done. I generally just bring enough stuff, or leave it at the site, to do what needs to be done at the time I notice it. The dated journal is nice so I can figure out what happened when last year. I make a seperate page when I am messing with making queens.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    Not sure how to use that idea.
    That's not a bad idea (mag stripe cards are very cheap, you shouldn't have to go dumpster diving to get them)...
    What would be easier and quicker (than using an 'ID card" for each hive), would be to place a barcode sticker (serial #) on each hive. Develop a (or incorporate into an existing) mobile app that begins each inspection with a scan of the barcode by your phone's (or tablet's) camera.

Nope no bulk updates. Cant move each hive individually it takes too long to use.
    Most app developers are always seeking feedback on their apps. A feature request like being able to bulk update entries for all hives in a specific group shouldn't be too difficult to implement (most if not all mobile apps of this type are built upon a database and this type of functionality is a rather trivial task to implement).
    I would suggest contacting the developer with such a request.

Nope no bulk updates. Cant move each hive individually it takes too long to use.
    For something different, you could try my program HiveTasks. Although it is designed for desktop/laptop use (rather than tablet) it does have the ability to move hives in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by dux View Post
    Most app developers are always seeking feedback on their apps. A feature request like being able to bulk update entries for all hives in a specific group shouldn't be too difficult to implement (most if not all mobile apps of this type are built upon a database and this type of functionality is a rather trivial task to implement). I would suggest contacting the developer with such a request.
    Dux is absolutely correct! If you find an application that is almost right for you, just ask the developer to add in those couple of missing features.
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers

That's the wonder of most open source/privately developed software. You can say "Hey, this would be great!" and they very well might agree with you and update the software with that feature.

I use and ICAM extreme. A pair of sunglasses with a video camera built into them. The camera is right between the eyes and takes great video and audio. I then go back to my computer and download it and save it and can refer to it whenever I need to. The video records wherever I am looking. Works well for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry forgot to say that they also come with a set of clear lenses. Easier to see things with.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2beekeep View Post
    I use and ICAM extreme. A pair of sunglasses with a video camera built into them. The camera is right between the eyes and takes great video and audio. I then go back to my computer and download it and save it and can refer to it whenever I need to. The video records wherever I am looking. Works well for me.
    Thats insane...... why not just use teh recording device in your head..........?????

gm. I guess my recall must not be as good as yours. Next year when I look back or try to think back about what I did that worked and didn't work I can look at the video. Takes 5 minutes to hook up and down load. Some of us just aren't as smart as others. Especially us that are fairly new to this game. Like I said, before works well for me. Not trying to push it on anyone.

Luv2beekeep, it is a perfectly good use of technology.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Well if it works for you....... Its funny how we want to get back to nature, and then spend time screwing with technology. It just seemed to me if you were sharp enough to come up with an idea like that and make them work you would be sharp enough to remember how to work your bees!

I'm building an iPhone/iPad app that can do the following:

1) Take an updated picture of your hive and also allow you to tag pictures to a hive inspection (you will need to take the device to the yard to take pictures).
    2) Type notes on the progress of the hive (you can do this at your home...this is not meant to be done in the yard, but you can do it in the yard if you want).
    3) Complete bulk tasks to multiple hives.
    4) Update the hive status - number of frames of brood, pollen, honey etc. (this is meant to show the current status of your hive).

Moving hives is also on my list and hopefully should be done in about a month.

The data is stored in the cloud and you don't have to worry about losing any of it. Please send me a private message with your email if you want to be a beta tester (beta testers try out the app and give me feedback).

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12