Default Split right after extraction in June.

I have 3 healthy hives. Is there a problem with splitting each right after extraction and putting the comb on top of each to feed them and for them to clean out? Just wondering if I am inviting disaster. I have no problem with feeding them to get them through.

Default Re: Split right after extraction in June.

That is a perfectly good plan.

i tried putting sticky comb back on after extracting, and the smell of honey definitely will get the attention of robber bees.

i've since put them out a couple hundred feet from the yard and let them all clean it up.

i would be concerned about a small queenless split being vuneralbe to robbing if it were given wet comb after extraction.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I was going to say the same thing as squarepeg, unless you have a flow going on, split weak hives will be targets for robbers.

If you have 3 strong hives and you split them all - unless there is another bee keeper near by - it will be less of a problem - don't make some of them weak, equalize them as much as possible.

Of course you have to do what you can to prevent robbing. But splitting right after the honey flow is a good way to make increase and a honey crop from the same hives.

BTW, putting stickies in the open to be robbed out is against the law in some states because of the chance it will spread foul brood. Just saying.

I like to make splits after the flow. We normally still have good weather and lots of drones still around so I normally get good queens. Robbing is the biggest problem that time of year. Most hives are at their strongest of the year right after the flow, once the flow stops these hives get pretty desperate and will rob in a heart beat. Making strong splits and keeping the entrances reduced will help with the robbing. Once there established for a couple weeks the robbing treat is not as bad.

You will certainly find out if one of your neighbors took up beekeeping or if you have any feral colonies close by I didn't know for several years that my neighbor on the next block had 3 hives in his backyard........