Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Making candle molds

I made some candle molds a few years ago…and finally got around to doing so again today. My original plan was to go harvest some sourwood honey from my mountain beeyard but the weather didn’t cooperate. So…the number two, rainy day project was to make some new candle molds. I’d gotten the mold goop a few weeks ago and had collected a handful of figurines over the past year. I started with four different models….and if all goes well will make more in the coming weeks.
    With a 16 hour curing time….I won’t know the outcome until tomorrow morning.
    Fingers crossed.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: Making candle molds

How nice, I've never thought of making my own molds, I'll have to give that a try, Thank you for posting this idea!

Glad you enjoyed the post RayMarler.
    The goop I bought this time is different than what I've used before. While I have high hopes....there's always the twinge of anxiety with something new. I'll try to remember to post a photo of the end results.
    Good luck.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I have a taxidermy business and we mold parts all of the time a cheap easy mold material is 100 % silicone ( the cheap stuff in a tube ). Squirt it into a small cup slightly larger that the item you want to mold place a few drops of acrylic paint and mix well but do it quickly silicone is moisture cure and the addition of acrylic paint makes it kick quick. Once mixed spread a thing layer over your object to be molded so there are no air bubles on the surface and them mash it Into the cup once its fully cured you can pull the object and you now have a flexible mold

I forgot to add that cure time is dependant on the ammount of paint you add too much and it will kick before you finish mixing too little and it could take days I find that a drop about the size of a dime to about half a solo cup will give you apx 10 min working time and 20 - 30 min till fully cure

Ok…some good news and bad news.
    The product (goop) I’m using is PMC-744 made by an outfit called Smooth-On. I’ve used some of their other mold making stuff in the past and have been pleased with them.
    This stuff will be good too but….the molds poured into the split pvc pipe worked perfectly. The molds made in the upside down peanut butter containers were another matter. The goop adhered to the peanut butter container with a vengeance. They could not be pulled apart. I spent a couple of hours extricating the figurines without damaging them and have now repoured them in split pvc.
    Once cured this stuff is really tough….I know, as I cut and pulled and twisted the peanut butter molds in my efforts to get the figurines out. I expect them to hold up for many hundreds of candles…..I just won’t be making any more molds in peanut butter containers.

I've done a bunch of casting before and made my own molds in college. But I can't say I saw any one use a cut in half piece of PVC. Pretty clever, I'll add that to my list of tricks to remember.

Any pictures of the figurines? Would love to see what you're trying to cast.

I'm thinking about making some molds once we have enough wax so my mom can make candles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared.Downs View Post
    But I can't say I saw any one use a cut in half piece of PVC.
    The pvc worked pretty well except it leaks a bit at the seams. I think for my next run I'll seal them with hot glue. Once I've gotten some candles made I'll try to remember to post pics.
    Good luck

What’s fer supper Maw?
    Fresh out of the oven candle molds!

150 degrees for 4 – 6 hours….yummmmmmm!

Urethane? "Crack" the mold soon after it firms up otherwise it will stick! Been there, done that........ Making candles is fun (and can be profitable.)
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Urethane? "Crack" the mold soon after it firms up otherwise it will stick!
    You'll need to tell me more before I know what you mean.....but by all means please do.
    It is a polyurethane rubber compound (PMC-744) and it has been a bit more difficult to use than the stuff I've gotten in the past. I'd like to think I'm near the top on the learning curve....but I'm not sure what you are referring to.

You mean cutting for easier candle removal?

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    You mean cutting for easier candle removal?
    Yes, make some "slits" down the sides and when using it, hold it all together with rubber bands (you'll never see the slits in the finished candle.) Also, when the wax is pretty firm, remove the rubber bands and gently "pry" the mold apart slightly ..just enough to break the "seal" between the candle & the mold. Then let it completely dry (I put them in the fridge) then remove your candle.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Yes, make some "slits" down the sides
    Gotcha. If you look at the mold in the furthest right hand corner....you will see that it has already been 'cracked'....as have several others that aren't as obvious.
    I appreciate the suggestions.

Poured.

Voila!

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    I have a taxidermy business and we mold parts all of the time a cheap easy mold material is 100 % silicone ( the cheap stuff in a tube ). Squirt it into a small cup slightly larger that the item you want to mold place a few drops of acrylic paint and mix well but do it quickly silicone is moisture cure and the addition of acrylic paint makes it kick quick. Once mixed spread a thing layer over your object to be molded so there are no air bubles on the surface and them mash it Into the cup once its fully cured you can pull the object and you now have a flexible mold
    Does anyone know what would prevent the silicone from adhering to the object you're making a mold of?
    Stuart Ratcliff - Ratcliff Beekeeping Facebook page

What is the brand name and material in the "mold goop"? I ask as I got some last week and I think it would be a PIA to use as you have to paint it on a layer at a time so your stuff looks a lot better.
    Did you buy it on line?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I made some candle molds a few years ago…and finally got around to doing so again today. My original plan was to go harvest some sourwood honey from my mountain beeyard but the weather didn’t cooperate. So…the number two, rainy day project was to make some new candle molds. I’d gotten the mold goop a few weeks ago and had collected a handful of figurines over the past year. I started with four different models….and if all goes well will make more in the coming weeks.
    With a 16 hour curing time….I won’t know the outcome until tomorrow morning.
    Fingers crossed.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Quote Originally Posted by SRatcliff View Post
    Does anyone know what would prevent the silicone from adhering to the object you're making a mold of?
    It depends on what you are making a mold of (what the material is), some things it wont stick to at all other materials you will never get it released (peanut butter jars apparently). There are comercial mold release agents (spray on) (http://www.alumilite.com/store/p/955-UMR-12oz.aspx), you can use baby powder (talcum powder) with some mold materials, or a VERY light coating of vasaline.

My personal favorite company/products is alumilite HS-2, although I have used smoothon products several times as well

Thanks.

I found a great link that's along the lines of Harley's post. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...385422593.html

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    What is the brand name and material in the "mold goop"?
    The product (goop) I’m using is PMC-744 made by an outfit called Smooth-On. I’ve used some of their other mold making stuff in the past and have been pleased with them.
    I've seen it sold online but I bought mine from an outfit in Atlanta called The Engineer Guy.

Is it possible to make a silicone mold from another candle or will the wet silicon stick to wax?