Thread: Black Tar Cells

Default Black Tar Cells

This hive died over the past winter of starvation. I see no signs of foul-brood so I am going to use the hives this year. However, I have a few frames of this black tar-like substance which I believe is pollen that has gone bad. My question is, do you think I should leave the mess for the bees to clean up, or should I scrape these nasty frames down to foundation to give them a fresh start? If all goes as planned, I will be using this hive for a swarm removal or trap-out.

Well, my plan was to post a couple of images here, but I can't seem to make the attachments work no matter which browser I use. I guess I'll hit up a moderator. Either way, hopefully someone can answer my question.

- John

Default Re: Black Tar Cells

Find a fire-ant bed. Let the ants do the work for you.

Good call lavert, but we've had a long spell of pretty cold weather. I haven't seen but one ant this year yet. I'm afraid to put them out anywhere for fear that moths will get them. I will see if any ants pop up in the next day or two though.

Yeah I see your a bit north of me. All we have to do here is look down to find them here.

Here's some pics. I finally got the upload to work.

CIMG0068.JPGCIMG0069.JPG
    Last edited by jwhiteker; 04-20-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: pic addition

Jwhiteker;

Try sticking a toothpick into one of the dark cells, swirl it around a bit, and when you attempt to draw out the substance of the cell, see if it is stringy or strings out as you try removing the cell contents. I have never personally seen AFB, but the photos look like the stories I have heard. More experienced beeks can probably tell you for certain.
    No one famous.

might be encapsulted pollen, take a knife and open one up. now for the people that looked at the previous youtube, if the guy talking was a bee inspector coming to your hives after inspecting the AFB hives, since he put his glasses on after opening up the hive, could he carry the disease between different apiaries??
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Thanks Bee Whisperer and wildbranch. From everything I have read and from the consistency of the stuff, I am now almost certain that it is encapsulated pollen. I'm not going to take a chance on this hive with my pkg. of bees, but I will give it a shot with a feral hive removal. I will keep everyone posted about how it goes.

>might be encapsulted pollen

That's my guess. It seems like the bees may have a reason they "entomb" the pollen. I would probably scrap the comb and reuse the frame.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I think I will take that advice and scrap the tar-like combs. I will reuse the clean comb they had previously used for brood and honey stores. Thanks for the advice Michael.

- John