Default Use food grade diatomaceous earth to kill ticks, spiders, ants...etc...

Food Grade DE cost ~$30 for a 50 lbs bag (and about $30 for shipping). It kills ticks etc, by cutting holes in their exoskeleton and they die from dehydration. It is harmless to mammals and in fact can be ingested (mix a 1/2 level teaspoon with water or juice). It provides orthosilicic acid for your body to produce elastogen and collegen....and if you have any intestinal parasites, it will kill those too.

Spread it on your pet's bedding to kill fleas and ticks, on your bedding to kill bed bugs, and on your yard for ticks and ants.

Keep it off your bees!

DO NOT USE SWIMMING POOL DE...it is both toxic and carcinogenic....only us FOOD GRADE DE. Several source on the web...here's one...

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/

Default Re: Use food grade diatomaceous earth to kill ticks, spiders, ants...etc...

Best Price I found. Plan to dust the ground around my hives this year, and also Use as a garden dust.

http://diatomaceousearth.net/product...omaceous-earth

Shipping only 10.xx for 30 lbs.

Default Re: Use food grade diatomaceous earth to kill ticks, spiders, ants...etc...

I tried it for ants last year, didn't do squat. Ants just walked all over it like nothing after a few hours. It might work for larger insects better though.

I scattered DE around my bee hives last year to try to keep the ants off. It did not work on the ants.
    They know how to evade the powder. But my poor bees did not and got killed more than the ants. If you
    use them around your hive better bee careful. Maybe they will kill your bees too.

There are better medicines without prescription for internal parasites.

Dont waste your money

Quote Originally Posted by jeb532 View Post
    DO NOT USE SWIMMING POOL DE...it is both toxic and carcinogenic....only us FOOD GRADE DE.
    I'm pretty certain that this is false information. BOTH forms of DE are dangerous if inhaled.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Why food grade, are you going to eat it?
    If you're bees get in it it will harm them wether its food grade or not.
    Hardware store swimming pool department, same stuff very cheep.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Why food grade, are you going to eat it?
    If you're bees get in it it will harm them wether its food grade or not.
    Hardware store swimming pool department, same stuff very cheep.
    Pool grade DE is processed differently. As to it not killing ants or anything else, it will NOT kill adult anything, except bees, it kills in the larvae stage. DE did not work for you because you may have incorrectly used the product. You must either apply it just before a rain or thoroughly wet the ground after dusting so it can soak in. And YES it does work quite well. I have been using it 2-3 times a year for the last 6 years and my SHB problem is nearly gone. I don't use anything else most years. I get mine at the local CO-OP for $40.00 for a 50lb bag. They call it feed grade.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

deleted
    Last edited by beeman2009; 04-20-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: duplicate post
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I use the hardware store stuff in my water cups under one hive as an experiment. It will keep the ants out of a hive.
    Dan

KQ6AR, do you mixed in the DE with the water in the cup?
    And do the bees fly under to drink and get drown too? Or they go somewhere else for the
    water?

Just straight dry powder.
    Dan

It has to be food grade DE. The DE for pools is processed with heat rendering it useless, if I recall. I perfer chickens for pest control. I would not use it around my hive, for fear of wind blowing it up into the hives.