Thread: Honey storage

Hybrid View

Default Honey storage

I would like an opinion or two on the best temperature at which to store bottles or 5 gal. buckets of honey that would retard crystallization but not hot enough to darken the honey color. I'm thinking about 90 degrees but that is just a guess. I was recently given a non working upright freezer that, I think, will bee perfect honey storage.
    Thanks for all comments.
    skizzix [/B]

Default Re: Honey storage

Keeping honey heated for long periods of time will degrade the quality and taste of the honey. Best to let it crystallize and then return it to a liquid state when you need to bottle it. Your chest freezer would make a great hot box for doing this. If you are only harvesting small quantities of honey it would be best to pack it in gallon buckets so you are only decrystallizing one gallon at a time instead of the entire bucket. Happy Beekeeping!

Perfect response......

Quote Originally Posted by pine_ridge_farms View Post
    Keeping honey heated for long periods of time will degrade the quality and taste of the honey. Best to let it crystallize and then return it to a liquid state when you need to bottle it. Your chest freezer would make a great hot box for doing this. If you are only harvesting small quantities of honey it would be best to pack it in gallon buckets so you are only decrystallizing one gallon at a time instead of the entire bucket. Happy Beekeeping!
    IMHO

Freeze it........it will not cyrstalize...........
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver