Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Boxes won't fit.....help please...

Quote Originally Posted by postie View Post
    The quarter inch was too much...with the gap on the corner and the unsteadiness of the top box, the bees were flying out the sides. I'm pretty sure this would leave them wide open to robbing and also leave some room for burr comb.

If I use weights on top, what I would be doing is warping the top (empty) box to fit the warped (full) bottom box...that might make both boxes unusable for interchanging later, not sure. What does sound good is the shimming ideas and then tape up the distance, I'd just want to be sure not to put any of the "sticky" towards the inside of the gap where the bees would stick. We are having high winds and rain for today, so the girls will have to wait at least one more day...I sure don't want to chase down any more swarms! All the ideas are great ones and definitely giving me some options I would have never thought up...I'm always open to creative ideas and usually I'm not too good at that!
    Still not a problem. Lots of my boxes have corners out and other openings. A decent hive won't get robbed out in a 1/4". Your entrance is far larger. I also prop tops up.

I agree with what has been said. Put the box on, put some weight on it, the bees will fill in the details.

It happens all the time. If you keep your boxes in stacks regularly, they will tend to stay better aligned in that way, but they do change shape with humidity and temperature. It is the nature of wood.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    A couple of concrete blocks on the cover will usually set it down flat and it will warp back into shape over time.
    ratchet staps work too.
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

Yes, a strap would work fine. I just don't seem to have enough straps... but the big advantage of the straps is you don't have to lift the blocks off...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I whittled some thin shims and stuck them in at each corner then ran a strip of duct tape around the box. It looks pretty neat (not as in "cool"), but as in tidy. When I get a chance to change out the box at some later date, I will do that. For now, seems to be working well. I also put some blocks on top. I just felt in a crunch for time because the bottom box was a split that DID have the queen and was wall to wall brood....plus, swarms everywhere. I was just brain dead I think. I APPRECIATE all the ideas and will put them all to good use over time. Thanks everyone!!!