Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Sulfur for Varroa control?

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Brad Bee 
#1 ·
Preface: This may be absurd, but hang in there.

Just wondering here, I don't have any dead bees. I know AG grade sulfur (90%) is used to kill Northern Fowl mites in commercial hen houses. Would the sulfur kill bees, because I know it will kill mites graveyard dead. Just trying to think outside the box on the Varroa mites.

#2 ·
I see you did not get a response to your other thread with this same question. Perhaps you would get a better response if you specified how you intended to apply the sulfur.

Two obvious possibilities I can think of are "smoking" it, or applying it as a dust.

#3 ·
I tried to delete the other post and put the thread in the proper forum, but I couldn't figure out how to delete the other one.

I am not planning on trying it anytime soon. I first wanted to gather any information on whether it had been tried or not. I'm not sure how the best way to apply it would be. I guess dusting it in the hive would be best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.