Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Its that time of year for the Annual Ollie OD Frank swarmathon competition

11K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  G-Man 
#1 ·
well its that time of year, again. Can anyone beat the high ranking swarm catcher?

I've caught one so far (not with a trap though), so I'd imagine that Ollie already has me lapped by now!

Time for everyone to post their numbers.

:popcorn:

#37 ·
I feel sorry for Ollie. He finally spends a little money and makes some decent looking bait boxes with his cute little wheel openings and now he's only caught a third of what he did last year. Go back to using those green WWI ammo crates Ollie!

#38 ·
I am up to 4, no traps were placed anywhere, Had to place trap out for 2, removed one from chimney, and had a swarm today, in a tree beside my house, I was walking back from checking the bees, and heard them, looked up and low and behold, grabbed ladder,hand saw, and within about 1/2 hour, had about 5 lb. or more bees in a deep, bees wall to wall. No this was not one of my hives, but has joined the yard now, as long as they stay and enjoy the summer.

#40 ·
>but one swarm hung underneath the bait box so I had to brush them into the box.

We will count that one as a valid catch.

#45 ·
I cought my first swarms two weeks ago. Yeah! I have eight nuc boxes spread out on our property in Gilroy. Checking the furthest box I noticed a bunch of activity at the entrance. I went back after dark and put a piece of duct tape over the entrance. Easy as pie, didn't even need to suit up. The next day when I went to re-set the box I noticed a grapefruit sized swarm in the same tree. The didn't even wait for me to get the box out of the truck before they started to investigate. I left the 2nd box out for the day and retieved it the 2nd night. I dumped the 2nd swarm on top of the first.

I inspected the swarm today and they have two frames of comb drawn so I moved them to a 10 frame deep. They look like they are going to be a real strong hive.

Can't wait for the next one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.