Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Its that time of year for the Annual Ollie OD Frank swarmathon competition

Thanks Graham. There was no edit link so the 24 hours must be up. That was the first time I tried to post a link, next time i'll pay closer attention!

Default Re: Its that time of year for the Annual Ollie OD Frank swarmathon competition

We need a David to stand up to Ollie the Goliath, although he's resorted to buying packages this year. Maybe this is a good season to take him on!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    What is important is not how big you make it, but how you make it big!
    Thanks Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    We need a David to stand up to Ollie the Goliath, although he's resorted to buying packages this year. Maybe this is a good season to take him on!
    What if it's done by percentage of success? How many traps does Ollie put out again?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by btmurph View Post
    What if it's done by percentage of success? How many traps does Ollie put out again?
    You have to understand that Ollie is not a normal person. He's obsessive/compulsive when it comes to anything that's free. His utter cheapness is his strenght. He once surrounded my SF apiary with what must of been 20 to 30 traps.

I would bet he puts out at least 100 traps every spring.

You have to understand that Ollie is not a normal person. He's obsessive/compulsive when it comes to anything that's free. His utter cheapness is his strenght. He once surrounded my SF apiary with what must of been 20 to 30 traps.I would bet he puts out at least 100 traps every spring.
    You have to understand that Charlie is delusional. His crazy delusions are his strength. I have been placing one swarm trap one mile from his house for years before he even started keeping bees, just to try and catch a swarm in the middle of the big city. I put out less than 50 traps a year. I have caught about 15 this year down from 50 years past. But the season is far from over.

I don't need a fancy bait box to catch swarms. I just use wax coated cardboard from Mann Lake.

Bait hive 1.jpgBait hive 2.jpg

I am up to 26 to date, it's been an off year. Had some real nice ones though, can't complain about the quality. That is the bait hive count, plus several nice swarms.

Charlie, you and odfrank, pick at each other like identical twins with different mothers.

I have only caugt 8 this year, only two in swarm boxes. I have about 20 out this year. Of the 20 I would hope to catch maybe 6 to 8. We haven't had very much swarming so far. Been cool and rainy, bees have not built up enough. I look for June to be better this year.

cchoganjr

More like the red headed step child.
    Its been a slow swarm year here, only caught 3 swarms, only one was trapped.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Its been a slow swarm year here, only caught 3 swarms, only one was trapped.
    There seem to be plenty of swarms, but less bait hive catches.

The bait swarms I've caught so far, (only 5) are good large swarms though rather than those tiny virgin queen swarms caught this time last year. I'm using all 10 frame deeps for swarms traps this year because Uncle Ollie said that's what to use.

I've noticed that swarm season here got off to a late start too.

Slow start in Salt Lake City. 25 bait hives out. In the last couple of weeks I've got 6 swarm catches and one bait hive catch.

Here in Athens, end of swarm season. 19 swarms in bait hives. Ten of them really huge.

because Uncle Ollie said that's what to use. .
    Now there is a poor misguided soul.

that sounds pretty fancy compared to some of the contraptions posted on here

I don't need a fancy bait box to catch swarms. I just use wax coated cardboard from Mann Lake.

Bait hive 1.jpgBait hive 2.jpg

I feel sorry for Ollie. He finally spends a little money and makes some decent looking bait boxes with his cute little wheel openings and now he's only caught a third of what he did last year. Go back to using those green WWI ammo crates Ollie!

I am up to 4, no traps were placed anywhere, Had to place trap out for 2, removed one from chimney, and had a swarm today, in a tree beside my house, I was walking back from checking the bees, and heard them, looked up and low and behold, grabbed ladder,hand saw, and within about 1/2 hour, had about 5 lb. or more bees in a deep, bees wall to wall. No this was not one of my hives, but has joined the yard now, as long as they stay and enjoy the summer.

I got 4, almost 5 but one swarm hung underneath the bait box so I had to brush them into the box. I still have a couple boxes out.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

>but one swarm hung underneath the bait box so I had to brush them into the box.

We will count that one as a valid catch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast