Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Its that time of year for the Annual Ollie OD Frank swarmathon competition

well its that time of year, again. Can anyone beat the high ranking swarm catcher?

I've caught one so far (not with a trap though), so I'd imagine that Ollie already has me lapped by now!

Time for everyone to post their numbers.

Default Re: Its that time of year for the Annual Ollie OD Frank swarmathon competition

I think catching swarms may be the best part of beekeeping too me. Its such a thrill... I am at 10 this year all ready. The last one was Saturday and I was driving down the road about 6pm about dusk and my wife shouted " We just passed a Swarm of bees." I really doubted she saw bee's on the other side of the road with me driving 65 MPH.... Well it was almost dark when I finished, but we got them bees.

Default Re: Its that time of year for the Annual Ollie OD Frank swarmathon competition

I think, the competition refers to swarms moving in to bait hives.

Yeah. I sort of figured that. I just got carried away with my last swarm I found.

How do I cash in on all of these competitions named after me? It seems to be a slow year here for bait hives. I might get beaten this time around.

Just curious whats the average number???

I think if you fill 50 bait hives...you're starting to get close.

Didn't you trap over 35 last year OD?
    The competition was swarm traps only last year.
    Dan

whats the number to beat so far, OD?

What is important is not how big you make it, but how you make it big!

Slow or late season. I only have twelve so far.

You're ahead of my ONE.
    Dan

well I am puling the hind wagon for sure 20 traps out and not a single taker..........may still be a little early, will see

DC

This is my first year to try trapping a swarm. I built 5 traps and baited them with a vial of lure and a few drops of LGO. They are basically over sized deep 8 frame hives. I used untrimmed 1x12's. At the time I didn't have the ability to do rabbets, so I just used cross-pieces to hang the frames on. I've since got a router table, and hope to build a couple hive boxes this weekend.

Here's some pics of the boxes I've built so far.
    http://http://pinterest.com/survivalbrewing/beekeeping/

Put four traps out this year and one just got moved in. It happened to be the one next to the solar wax melter, and there's always a couple of bees around attracted by the smell of the wax. I'll be doubling down on that particular approach of having a trap next to the melter.

Put out 7. Colonies in 3. Comb built outside one.

I have put 21 traps for this year. From April 6 till today, I have caught 11 swarms.
    One month still to go.

The link to photos in LeslieHamilton's post #14 is malformed and doesn't work. Here is a corrected link:
    http://pinterest.com/survivalbrewing/beekeeping/

There is a photo of an interesting "bee float" for a 5 gallon bucket at that link.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    The link to photos in LeslieHamilton's post #14 is malformed and doesn't work. Here is a corrected link:
    http://pinterest.com/survivalbrewing/beekeeping/

There is a photo of an interesting "bee float" for a 5 gallon bucket at that link.
    A malformed link! That doesn't sound good!

Leslie, you have about 24 hours to edit your post if you choose to fix the link you posted. Note that your link has dual "http://" sections. That is why it doesn't work. Look for the "Edit Post" button at your original post.

If I just called it a "Bad link", then there might be confusion as to whether the URL itself was "bad" or the content at the link was "bad".
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast