Default First swarm for newbie

Exciting stuff! Just got my first swarm, 4 feet off the ground on old fence post. Maybe two pound of bees, hopefully a Queen also. Sprayed with some sugar water, cut post and some wire, very old post so easy to do. Post was hollow and they were in it so I figured cutting post would be best. It was property owners idea. Left a few but tried to get as many as I could after the initial bulk of them. Got them in there new home, got some new foundation (no draw comb available ). Only time will tell but it has been fun so far.

I assume remaining bees will return to parent hive if no queen was left? Not many left but a handful or so.

Joe

Default Re: First swarm for newbie

if possible next time, leave the nuc box or whatever u put the in...at the site until nighttime. dump them in and wait for some marching into the nuc box or fanning for the other to go in as well. once u are sure they take to the new box,put the top on and a brick.leave the entrance open while ur gone. swing by at night,close the entrance and takem home. u get all the bees that way. no foragers out flying at night. also, put some old comb inside (rubber banded to a frame if possible) to draw them in. they also seem to be more into staying in the nuc box and start building. a frame of brood works best . just some ideas for next time

great job though .... ur on ur way.

Default Re: First swarm for newbie

Thanks tommysnare,
    Once I get established with more hives I can see where some frames of brood and comb from them can really help with swarms and starting Nucs. I have got some swarm traps out and would love to have some frames with comb, but I don't, figured it would be worth a shot but don't expect much.
    Thanks