Hybrid View

Default How to deal with questionable comb?

I had one hive come down with dysentery this spring. It was on the inside of the boxes. They had pretty much a deep and medium full of honey. I've been expanding the brood nest, hoping they recover. I had to pull a few deep frames of honey, and I wondered what I should do with it. Some of it doesn't look great. The surface looked wet or slick in some areas. Some areas have crystallized, and I have seen a few small patches with a light mold on small areas. These maladies are here and there on most the honey stored in the hive. When I saw it I thought that I wouldn't want to eat it and I could imagine that the bees might have gut problems from it. So what do I do with it? I would like to salvage the drawn comb, but am hesitant to feed it to other bees....
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

Default Re: How to deal with questionable comb?

All I do is feed these types of combs back to hives in small doses.

If the comb is real bad, I put it smack in the middle of the brood nest, so the bees are forced to clean it, sometimes they'll avoid it if it's on the edge.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: How to deal with questionable comb?

Thanks for the feed back, I wasn't sure...
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b