Default Too Cool For A Cut-out?

Okay guys and dolls. Complete newbee here. I originally planned on doing a cut-out of a log this weekend. The weather, however, is going to take a dip Friday night into the 30's. The high for Saturday is going to be in the 60's, low in the 40's, and continue for a few days then begin to warm up again. The question is, do I continue with the cut-out, or do I wait for next weekend? Any help is appreciated!

Default Re: Too Cool For A Cut-out?

60's sounds like a nice day to be wearing a bee suit! I think you should be ok, that isn't that cold.

I do all my removals (of which I've done dozens) after dark; that way more of the bees are "home" when I come knocking...not great for keeping from getting stung, but you get a few more bees that way (and leave a LOT fewer behind)

With that said, I wouldn't do a removal in weather that's much below 60F...don't want to chill the brood too much & end up injuring/killing your next generation of workers

I won't have to worry about leaving too many behind. I can leave the hive on site for a few days and come back for it. The bees getting chilled was what I was worried about. The weather will warm back up into the 70's by Monday. I was wondering if I could do the cut-out and then feed well (syrup), or if i needed to wait.

The weather doesn't look that bad for this weekend.

5 Day Weather Channel Forecast for Belmont

You should feed them, but they may not take much this time of year if there are any nectar flows.

They should have stores available for them in their existing hive. Just transfere their combs into your frames and hive them. They will be collecting their stores again real quick after the cutout.
    Make sure you can perform the cutout from start to finish in one evening.