Default TBH Bottom Board Question

Hello all!

I recently purchased a TBH from Walter T Kelly in KY. It has a solid bottom board that does not have a tight seal. There is enough space between the bottom board and side boards to fit the sharp end of my hive tool, but not enough for bees to come in and out. This board was loose fitting so I reinforced it with two screws to the front and back of the hive. Is this a normal space to have on THB bottom boards? Not sure if this is okay for ventilation or if it should be a tight seal. This is my first TBH but I have 2 Langstroth and 1 nuc hives in addition. I do not plan on using a screened bottom board as I feel this may be too much ventilation. I worry that SHB could come in thru these cracks which is the reason for my concern. Thank you all! Kim

Default Re: TBH Bottom Board Question

SHB would be my primary concern, and the reason why I'd fill the crack with glue, or silicone caulk (depending on how wide it is), to be sure. BTW, it's refreshing to see someone who has langs, and is willing to try out TBH as well; rather than "picking a side" in that debate & choosing to fight about it (personally, I see benefits to both...so I make hybrid sorts of hives...hehehe)

if its too much ventilation, the bees will close it with propolis

My TBH also had an inadvertent crack along the bottom board. Bee's closed it up with propolis. Problem solved

Thank you all, I will let the ladies decide whether or not to close the gap. They know better than I.
    @ robherc, I like to try a bit of everything and not rely on just one method