Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello from Sumrall, MS

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Cloverdale 
#1 ·
I am beginning my second year as a beekeeper. Although I do not have much confidence in my abilities as a beekeeper yet, the bees continually amaze me with their gentleness, resiliency, and forgiveness of my blunders.

#10 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome! I have much to learn and look forward to gleaning from all of you. My first year of beekeeping was evidently a success, as my two hives survived the winter in good shape. A local beekeeper helped me get started last year and told me my hives were some of the best looking he has seen this spring. (He has dozens of hives in several locations.) My problem is I am afraid to trust my own judgement, thus I tend to run to him for his opinion before I make most management decisions. This is not fair to him and will slow my from learning from painful but inevitable mistakes.

#11 ·
Shoot, as long as your mentor doesn't mind, ask him all the questions you need to. I'd even think that he enjoys your enthusiasm. As for learning from your mistakes, it's a lot less painful to learn from *other* people's mistakes....even with the help and info that you get you will still have plenty of mistakes of your own to enjoy. ;)

Ed

#12 ·
Well said. Thus far I have called him almost every time I've opened the hives to discuss what I have found. And although he is busier than most, he has always been so patient with me! I currently have two Langstroths, but I am building two TBHs. He knows nothing about them, so I am hitting the books (and this forum) to learn the differences in managing them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.