Default Queen problem in newly installed package?

I installed a package on drawn frames on Sunday the 14th. Today I went back and watched them. They are very active, bringing in lots of pollen, and not aggressive. However, they are VERY noisy. You can hear the whole hive humming when you stand behind it. My other hives do not do this. I remember this sound from last summer when I opened up a hive that had gone queenless, except that hive was very grouchy and this one still seems docile.

So it's been three days since this package was hived. I have not opened it up to see if the queen has been released from her cage. Is it common for them to be this noisy or do I likely have a problem with the queen? If I do get in the hive and find the queen dead or missing, should the package provider send another one, or am I on my own finding a new one?

Default Re: Queen problem in newly installed package?

Many package sellers will only guarantee a live queen when you get the package. Not that she will live after that, since there are many ways we can screw up and kill her. I'd probably peek and see if she was released, or did you release her? If she's out, I'd wait a little longer and be prepared to give the hive a frame of brood if I find I need a new queen after about 10 days total.

Default Re: Queen problem in newly installed package?

I did not release her directly. I removed the cork on the candy end of the cage and put the cage screen side down between two frames. Tomorrow is supposed to be really nice; I'll open up the hive after work and see if she's released.