Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Test graft tomorrow in Western Washington-

$40.00 is a pretty premium price for a queen
    Until today, the most expensive production queen I knew of was Charlie Harper's Russians at $37
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

This was my plan for a bigger incubator also. I think I will find a way to bypass the timer. Looking for a scratch and dent unit is my plan now.
    What temperature are you using in your setup?

You can't beat that Cabelas dehydrator for an incubator 'remodel'. I've used three of them for a few years ( For food) and they are really great quality inside and out.
    I'm not sure why incubators go from the cheap-0 junk to thousands with nothing in between. Trust me, I've looked.

The lab-science incubators look OK, but a super small and cost hundreds if not thousands. You can't buy a used one for fear they've been cooking up an H1N1 stool sample somewhere along the line

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Until today, the most expensive production queen I knew of was Charlie Harper's Russians at $37
    Like I said, my operation is different than the bank and ship operation most of the larger breeders do. I give one on one service with a apiary tour if requested. There is no one in my state that offers what I have both in product and in service. There is a good market for it, and I charge for it.
    Last edited by Lauri; 04-20-2013 at 08:33 PM.

I had to go local for some deep foundation this week and went in to pick it up. The board was up and listing queens for $33. I could not believe it.
    I opened up my hives today and the dead out I was going to steal frames for my swarm traps still had a couple frames of young bees. I pulled a frame of capped brood, one with small eggs and found a superscedure cell looked like it was full of jelly for that hive (from one that was really booming and needed the brood nest opened). Problem was the frames with the brood and swarm cell was plastic. There was ton of drones in that boomer hive so I should be OK (about 90 minutes south of Lauri).
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Lauri,
    Im curious have you done anymore graphing?

Yes, I have three graft frames in finisher hives now. The only thing holding me back from full production is the fact I am not quite ready to split up my hives to make the mating nucs. Almost though, they are looking good. Every few days I choose another strong hive and arrange it with a cloake board-then graft the next day and insert the frame for starting. By the time May gets here I'll have cells coming out my ears. Hopefully the weather will hold, it's been great with only a few days of rain.

People are screaming for queens around here. But I can only do what I can with the climate and timing. I am already 3 weeks ahead of schedule. I can have capped cells and virgins easily enough though. I wish folks were not so afraid of using them. They are cost effective and very early.
    There are plenty of nice fat healthy drones available for mating.
    It is really amazing the number of people panicked who bought nucs and packages recently that had dead queens. I'm telling them to combine the bees with a queenright hive and wait until the queens are availble. There is absolutly nothing bad about that..better to do that than to buy a poorly mated queen too early in the season.

I think folks don't realize it is not only weather but day length that stimulates the bees. Even my own order out of Texas has been delayed a month..and you'd think they are far ahead of Western Wa. with their hot weather. They are having one heck of a time getting queens mated there.
    I'd like to wait until my hives are packed full before I break them up for mating nucs...get the most bang for my buck with the resources I have.

Heres the graft frame from the hive shown in my OP. 16 for 16..should be capped sometime tomorrow. This is one of my frames with not too many cell holders. Didn't want to push it too early. As soon as they are capped I'll finish them in another hive and reuse this hive to start a 30 cell frame. Nice going ladies

Last edited by Lauri; 04-28-2013 at 03:25 PM.

I was going to try to graph today for the first time but unfortunately doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate. Good old western washington. Maybe it will break for me midday.

We are way ahead down here in Portland. 70 degrees for a week in April is unheard of. I am already getting swarm calls because the big swarm hogs are overwhelmed. Unfortunately my own are also in the trees 3 weeks early and I have also have not been able to respond. The warm spell we had at Easter must have pushed everything to swarm impulse. Drones are not an issue. Here is one I was playing with after watching the Palmer marking video (catch them by their wings works way easier than I was doing it).
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/6m...337ca.jpg.html
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...psb11337ca.jpg
    Last edited by minz; 04-28-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: fixed link
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Minz, Your links don't work.

Nothing swarmy in my yard, but I went though every single hive last month and made sure they had plenty of empty drawn woker sized comb above the brood nest + nice frames of feed.
    There is still tons of pollen coming in and a light flow..If I could discribe my hives at the moment, in one word, it woud be 'Content'

Yeah, I don't even post for swarm collecting anymore on Craigs list. My ad just keeps getting flagged..by the 'swarm hogs' you mentioned, I assume. Too bad, I got some really good genetics from a couple swarms in 2011.