Hybrid View

Default Test graft tomorrow in Western Washington-

Cloake board is installed-first queen to be grafted has been chosen. I have so many that are exceptional, it was hard to choose. Here she is, a daughter from a swarm I collected near Mt. Rainier in 2011
    Overwintered well and has great traits. These photos were taken today.

How's this for a brood pattern on a barley drawn frame

I have a fair amount of mature drones in the hives and a good amount of capped drone brood. Weather has been decent and forecast to be mild and consistent. I didn't graft last year until May 10th.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miller...56954971040510

This one is Italianish looking, but momma produced five very different colored daughters, so I am assuming she was well mated with a good variety of genetics.
    You can see the workers are different colors as well. Some with a very wide orange band,some with two colors of orange, red and black, some with darker black striping.

I sold all I could raise locally last year, but it is possible I may ship once I get the mating nucs stocked and the first batch mated. I'll post it if I do.
    Last edited by Lauri; 04-17-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Default Re: Test graft tomorrow in Western Washington-

She's a cutie!
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Lauri
    How do you go about stocking up the mating nucs?

WOW! A big fat juicy queen bee. I'm sure the mix will give us a diversify bee genetics.
    Selection for color and special traits will do. On top of my list are gentleness and high
    honey production, etc. I'm sure the new incubator will help you a lot too. Don't forget
    to reserve some for us here.

If you goto her website there are many different mating nucs for you to see.

Lauri,
    What is your temps. there in Washington. I am thinking about starting some grafts next week here in Idaho and it is still in the 20's at night and 40's daytime. Suppose to warm up to mid 60's next week with lows in the low 40's. Might still be a little cold here. Your queens look awesome though. Keep up the good work.

Nice. Very nice.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rube63 View Post
    Lauri
    How do you go about stocking up the mating nucs?
    That's why it is a test graft. I don't want to stock too many mating nucs juuuuust yet. I'll have about 2 weeks until I'll have to do so though.
    It has been cool at night recently here..but not freezing. daytime temps are just over 50-60, but forcast to be much warmer soon, with night time temps in the 50's.
    It's been a very mild winter here in Western Wa. I am pretty confident all will be conducive to mating flights by the time they happen. All the hives are about a month ahead of last year, according to my notes.

What I was actually wanting to know was detail on the best way to get the bees in the mating nucs and about how many in each. When I try to shake them in most run back out and fly back to where they came from.

Rube, it depends on what set up you have. I overwinter colonies on half size deep frames, so when it comes time to stock the mating nucs, I just distribute the frames accordingly. Same goes for the full frames in divided deeps. If I use the method of the real mini mini nuc with just three top bars, I brush bees from two hives into a box with one frame of brood and some frames. I allow the older crankey bees to fly back to the hives they came from, leaving me the younger nurse bees that are more accepting of the virgins. I let them sit overnight, then scoop them up with the half frame and starter strip and distribute into the mini nucs with a direct release newly hatched virgin and close them up at least on day. It has to be quite warm at night to use those though.

These are good for getting Queens mated, since they don't take too many resources to stock the mating nucs, but they are harder to manage during the summer and fall. They get plugged fast, are prone to cold temps and fall robbing.

I like the slightly larger sized nucs better. I charge $40.00 for my queens, partly because I don't bank my queens. I leave them in the mating nucs until they are sold and picked up. I need more space for them to live and the five-half sized deep frame nucs are perfect for that.
    Here is a five frame nuc box converted into a double mating nuc.

$40.00 is a pretty premium price for a queen, But I offer something a bit different than the pay and ship norm.
    When I pull out a frame of capped brood with a big fat queen on it to show the guys what they are getting..and I get a giggle out of the grown men, it is pretty satisfying They can't whip out the $20. bills fast enough.
    And if I can manage my stock better so I don't have to buy much sugar, I might even be able to keep some of that money.
    I recently got a 20' flatbed car trailer to transport some of the production hives into the mountains after the flow here is over. I have too many hives in one spot to make enough honey for all of them.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miller...56954971040510
    Last edited by Lauri; 04-18-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Always interested in your next move Lauri
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)