Default Banking queens - Kill attendants?

I've been asked to bank a few purchased queens for a friend.

I have a banking frame, a hive I can use (queenright), and an excluder.

I plan to put the queens in the banking frame above the excluder, surrounded by a few frames of brood that I'll pull from below.

I've read that this will not work if the queens have included attendants. Should I kill the attendants with a pin?

How to approach this problem?

Any help appreciated,
    mrspock

Default Re: Banking queens - Kill attendants?

I have banked them, but never with atendants. I would think pull the corks and let them out. wouldn't want the cage full of dead atendants.

There is a video on YouTube with Michael Palmer showing how to release attendants from the cage. I have never gotten a queen who actually had attendants though...

I just received the queens - 3 of them, with attendants.

No easy way to release attendants without compromising candy plug.

Should I kill them with a pin?

If I leave them in, and their destination hive kills the attendants, will they leave the queens unharmed?

I'm presently holding several virgins (less than a week old), and several mated/laying queens. All of them are in cages with candy and attendants. They are being held in a queenless nuc. None of the queens have been killed or injured, also the attendants are doing fine.

I'm just doing this for the practice/experience, all of these queens are "culls", so they are expendable. I will keep trying different things, until something doesn't work.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    I'm presently holding several virgins (less than a week old), and several mated/laying queens. All of them are in cages with candy and attendants. They are being held in a queenless nuc. None of the queens have been killed or injured, also the attendants are doing fine.

I'm just doing this for the practice/experience, all of these queens are "culls", so they are expendable. I will keep trying different things, until something doesn't work.
    All in one nuk, correct?

I have 3 caged purchased queens to place (requeens and splits) that I got overnited and received on Thursday. I got 10 total, and 3 remain but I won't be able to do anything with them until Sunday. I thought of a 4 frame nuk and pull some frames from a hive, make sure no queen before I put them in nuk.

Sunday is pretty long to just keep them in cages and giving a drop of water twice a day? Or will that be ok too? Which is safer/better for queens?
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

No easy way to release attendants without compromising candy plug.
    I'm curious, what kind of queen cages do you have? I haven't seen one with only a candy plug. Except for the California Mini Queen Cages and they have the removable tube...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Yes, all in the same nuc, the incubator nuc, where I also have 44 ripe cells, due to emerge this Sat and Sun. Twenty-two per frame. In the center is an empty foundationless frame (for cluster space), and either side of that, frames holding 22 cells each, to emerge into California mini cages. Then outside those are two frames containing combs of honey/pollen/emerging worker brood. I've laid the JZsBZs cages containing the virgin queens with attendants, and several containing those queens retrieved from swarms that are suspected of possibly being AHB, and one of those three is in a California mini cage, without candy or attendants.

I'll catch a photo a little later this morning and insert links here ->

Photo 1 ................. Photo 2 ................... Photo 3
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 04-27-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Adding photo links
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Yes I'd like to see photo, thanks Joseph.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Our local club recently purchased package bees, and I banked 5 extra queens for a week until everyone had time to do their first inspections. I left them in the regular 3 hole wooden cages with attendants, rubber banded them to a regular frame of plastic foundation, and kept them in a strong queen less nuc with lots of brood and nurse bees that I made up on the spot - which I fed. Worked fine, no dead queens, many dead attendants. After a week I candy released the ones that hadn't been used into their own 3 frame nucs.

Done, but I'm not hopeful- I didn't feel it went well.

I opened each queen cage, and held the queen with my fingers to prevent escape, while shaking attendants out. Then restapled cage shut.

I brought three frames of brood up from below the QE, and put them along side the banking frame.

Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I'm curious, what kind of queen cages do you have? I haven't seen one with only a candy plug. Except for the California Mini Queen Cages and they have the removable tube...
    Small wooden block about 1"x 2". Hollowed out center section, covered with screen. 1 queen, 3 attendants. Small hole in end, plugged with candy and covered with cork.

Just checked. 2 of the cages are covered with bees. Whether friend or foe is unclear, but queens are alive. Third cage has no bees on it.