Default Semi-successful split

Tried my first split today, not sure it's gonna work out right. I could not find the queen, having failed to look in the heavy medium on top of the deep until I had to put the hive back together, and I'm pretty sure she's still in the main hive since I get a big roar out of the nuc box.

However, it was getting rather late, the bees were quite restive (this is the runny hive anyway) and I thought I'd better quit while I just had a bunch of angry bees flying but not stinging.

After I put the medium back on, I pulled a frame and it seems Mrs Bee is quite busy up there, lots of uncapped brood, which is nice, so I suspect she's up there. I'll have to get back into the hive this weekend when it warms up -- cold front and thunderstorms on the way. Hopefully I can transfer her highness into the nuc, either on another deep frame or by putting one of my medium boxes on top with a couple medium frames of brood with her.

I figure the worst that will happen at this point is that I will lose the nuc, and it's only two frames of brood and bees and a third frame I want to get rid of anyway, it's a slotted top where the foundation bowed badly, should have tossed it last year. I'll see, if they have queen cells started (I didn't see any eggs) I'll let the nuc raise a queen, I think. The goal is more hives, I'm not picky.

Both hives were full of brood, so the "big" hive didn't supersede yet (one queen cup, but the smoker went out and I decided to quit poking). Looks like it could be a good year.

Peter

Default Re: Semi-successful split

Best of luck! The split I made a week and a half ago is doing well, as it turns out I had the queen in the split when I had intended to leave her with the parent hive. Didn't realize it (couldn't see her that day) until I went to check the feeder and wow, were they quiet and calm. No roar. Shur 'Nuff, pulled a frame and boom, fresh eggs. So yes, mine are doing well! Fred how many hives do you have?

Hope your split thrives! We have SO much blooming here, I see bees flying all over! Pollen counts have been out of control until it poured rain today. I'm so happy it's warming up and it doesn't get dark so dang early.

Take care and post back how it goes!

Default Re: Semi-successful split

We have three hives, two here and one at my brother's. We will be doing a split on his on Sunday if the weather works out, supposed to get cold again for a few days.

I'm pretty sure the nuc is queenless, but I'm not terribly worried, if they don't make a queen it's only two frames of brood and bees out of a strong hive.

Peter