Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Ticks-can't take it any longer. What to do/

We have plenty of wild turkey flocks in our area which help to keep the tick population down if you're fortunate enough to have them stay nearby. http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildl...urkey_home.htm However, the usage of Millorganite, for the lawns (fertilizer made of human sewage) tends to keep the deer away from our shrubbery ergo tick carriers. Keep the deer population away and your tick problem is lessened markedly. OMTCW

Cedarhill - Thanks, I thought I was crazy for noticing that the tick are only in the yards where we have never seen turkeys.

Crazy Roland

I am going to say since no one else has. How about a bee suit? Mine keeps the bugs out wonderfully (:

eat lots of garlic, now you have an excuse!

The fire ants that have moved in here kill ticks! Lived in Louisiana for 40 years, very few ticks left after fire ant invasion!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Sound like time to get some flea and tick collars, strap around your ankles.
    I may try this. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Put some bird feeders out, get the birds hanging around.
    Too many trees. I have a lot of pine trees. I now between them just to keep brush & weeds down. Squirrels eat all the bird food or destroy, "squirrel proof" feeders. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    I would be more inclined to use the permethrin granules than the spray, less chance of causing a problem with your bees.
    I may try this too-thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Get a cat if you can't have farm animals. Get rid of the rodents, reduce the ticks.
    Ticks are on the high stuff. Grass, flowers on the path? But then, some people just taste good to ticks.
    The deer are the problem. I have dozens go through the yard daily. Never saw a traced of rodents. Lots of hawks? No cats for me-thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    I do taxidermy, and when people bring in deer heads, my place is crawling with ticks they leave their host in droves because it's no longer living, It's noting for me to find 10 -20 ticks on me on a good night of skinning out heads, the best thing I have found for constant use that doesn't irritate your skin is to take a shower in puppy flea and tick shampoo before you go out. They will crawl still crawl on you, but they wont imbed, the puppy stuff is gentle enough to not irritate your skin.
    I'll look into this. I'm a little concerned about this though from a chemical standpoint-thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BackYardPhenomena View Post
    An HOA? time to move if you ask me.
    Luckily I am isolated from the rest of the neighborhood plus they know they can't walk over me. I agree with this sentiment however. HOAs have way too much power & are generally run by certain, "little Cesar" mentality. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beeboy01 View Post
    Cut the brush down around the hives, ticks will craw up grass and hang waiting to latch onto you as you go by. Tuck your pants into your socks before going out to the hives to keep them off your legs. A quick way to pick them off your pants is with packing or masking tape, just press the sticky side against them and pull them off. Luck with them
    Grass is low. I thinks they drop from higher branches. I wasn't near any brush the last two days. I took a swarm trap that had a swarm move in off the shelf it was on & carried it 75' to a hive stand & had a tick on my shirt that ended up in my neck at 12:00AM. Got a tick latch on every day this week and that is with treated pants. I'll be getting a jump suit asap.
    I hate wearing a bee suit unless I'm working a mean hive. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    Try eating garlic or take garlic capsules daily. Supposed to work for dogs for fleas, etc. (biting insects) My guess is it would help humans too. Mint/peppermint is also supposed to repel mice.
    Hate to sound like a spoiled child but I despise the smell of garlic. When someone is near me that has eaten garlic I want to strangle them for polluting my air. It is such a foul odor. I don't know how people stand themselves. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith View Post
    Move up north! Ticks happen, but not so much you worry about it. Also no hive beetles, little foul brood, lots of alfalfa. Only drawback is that winter thingy...
    Worst idea yet-sorry. I came from NY to NC almost 30 years ago. The weather here is so nice. NY weather is awful. Again, I don't know how people deal with all the trouble that comes with cold climate living. I'll eventually deal with this awful problem. Moving anywhere would be a bit much & moving north would be after hanging from a rope. Um...didn't Lyme's disease originate in Conn???? Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzz View Post
    Permethrin is dangerously toxic to cats. You may have mice problem which is causing your tick problem?
    See above. No mice to speak of & no cats for me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    What?? Deer ticks pound us this time of the year. I've had to dig two out of my myself already and the season hasn't hardly got started. Every night before bed, I check myself for ticks. I've found as many as 6 a night, and often 1 or 2. Was talking to Keith J on the phone the other day and watched two Deer ticks crawling up my pants...before I smashed them.

Just a matter of time before Lyme shows up on one of my periodic tests.
    I may have mentioned-due to tick & chigger bites I am now very allergic to red meat. It's been about 7 years now. My MD tested me for Lyme's but thinks there isn't any here. He is wrong. I feel like I have symptoms of Lyme,s that come & go but seeking help in my local has been difficult at best. My wife got*RMSF last year & caught it right away. Still 3 weeks of illness???

Quote Originally Posted by Kjd173 View Post
    Go to tractor supply and get some permethrin spray. You can buy it at 10%, dilute it down to 1 or less in a spray bottle and spray your clothes and let it dry. It will last a few weeks and even work after you wash your clothes. You can also try the elimitick clothing.
    Got 34% diluted down & started using it. I started this after reading that the military uses it. I need more than just the pants treated though-thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    We've got them bad here too. In the past I always had a can of Deep Woods Off in my truck and would spray my pants and shoes. This works well. Last season I bought permethrin spray and that too appears to work well. The permethrin is less hassle since you don't need to reapply so often. Designate a pair of pants as your "Bee" pants and reuse without washing - the bees won't mind Just last night I was walking through knee-high grass and not a single tick.
    Yes sir-thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williamson View Post
    Check out this Tick Handbook published by the state of Connecticut.

http://www.ct.gov/CAES/lib/caes/docu...ckHandbook.pdf
    Jump to page 37 for Tick Integrated pest management

Its 60 pages and what I remember from reading it years ago is that Deer and rodents are the main carriers of ticks so if you can reduce their presence your tick level will dramatically drop! That along with less brush and shorter grass helps reduce ticks.

I have a deer fence enclosing 3 acres of gardens, orchards, woods and our house and we rarely get ticks on us. But as soon as we step outside the fence to walk in the woods or pick from our Shittakee mushroom logs we nailed. Sometimes just one or two but more times than I care to admit my legs have turned dark from thousands upon thousand of seed ticks. Talk about a terrible feeling! That has never happened in the woods or grass inside the deer fence.

Good luck!
    I read this guide. I need to bow hunt these deer & give these oversized rats a dirt nap. Not one or two but all of them. They are disease carrying vermin & cause a large amount of damage to people & cars. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    why not move the hives to a tick free area?

Many people keep hives in suburban back yards 15-20 feet from the back of a house. mine sit 50' from my house.

why go all the way "to the back of the property" when there is better tick free area elsewere on the property.
    I'll see if these other things work before I move my hives. They are in a perfect spot. It is a clear shot walking to the hives but the ticks just fall out of the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by jtow View Post
    I vote for cutting the grass and cut back any brush. Also, cut any low hanging tree branches around your hives or your path to/from the hives. Ticks will crawl up trees and out to the branch tips and drop on you as you go by.
    Everything is cut but the branches that are 10' & higher. I read they can wait & drop???

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater Bees View Post
    One tick per visit is not a terrible problem. I get that stepping out on the porch. Common bee keeper coveralls tucked into boots will take care of that. No need to nuke everything. One a visit, you're not the target host. Get rid of or treat what they are feeding on.
    Venison anyone? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Challenger, I know you said you can't have chickens but what if a friend brought over a few pet chickens and then took them back. Chickens have sonar for tics it seams. I don't think it would take long for the chickens to make an impact.
    Actually I do have some rats living near me. Some people call them neighbors. If I brought a chicken to my house it would have to be baked of fried. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laurabee View Post
    I heard that lice shampoo will keep them off of you. Good tip if you are dealing with deer ticks that are hard to spot in hair. Try eating plenty of garlic too.
    I am bald by choice. Hair got gray and got gone. If I had hair at this point it would make me feel like something is crawling in it all the time. Garlic=mouth sewage AFAIAC. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Hill View Post
    We have plenty of wild turkey flocks in our area which help to keep the tick population down if you're fortunate enough to have them stay nearby. http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildl...urkey_home.htm However, the usage of Millorganite, for the lawns (fertilizer made of human sewage) tends to keep the deer away from our shrubbery ergo tick carriers. Keep the deer population away and your tick problem is lessened markedly. OMTCW
    I've been using milorganite for years to try to keep the deer from mowing down my landscape plants. It worked very well but needs to be applied very often and would cost me $100.00/ application. Every few weeks I can't afford. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WildernessWill View Post
    I am going to say since no one else has. How about a bee suit? Mine keeps the bugs out wonderfully (:
    True but I'm going to try an easier on/off jump suit first. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
    The fire ants that have moved in here kill ticks! Lived in Louisiana for 40 years, very few ticks left after fire ant invasion!
    Oh we have plenty of fire ants but I think the pines shade out too much for them? I've not seen any except in full sun. Thanks

I had chickens, and no ticks. My chickens were doing great until they decided that they liked my 84yr old father's tomato's. My father can is still a good shot.

The garlic capsules are deodorized so that smell would not be a problem on your breath.

I am not sure how much area you are trying to protect, but many gardeners hang small bars of Irish Spring soap to repel deer from certain trees or plants. I hung a soap bar (protected from the rain by a plastic bottle with the bottom half cut off) in my pear tree to repel deer. The neighbor has done this also to keep the deer from munching on her plants which they were doing.

having ticks near your bees could mean that you have night time visitors. I have my bees on pavement (stretching 15-20yrs in either direction) and found baby tics one day on the concrete in front of the hive. Must have fallen off of a raccoon or a rat

but many gardeners hang small bars of Irish Spring soap to repel deer from certain trees or plants.
    Hmm, how far away will it keep the deer or how close together does the bars have to be? This is worth trying for our vegetable gardens.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
    We're overrun by both. I don't think there's a correlation.

The garlic capsules are deodorized so that smell would not be a problem on your breath.

I am not sure how much area you are trying to protect, but many gardeners hang small bars of Irish Spring soap to repel deer from certain trees or plants. I hung a soap bar (protected from the rain by a plastic bottle with the bottom half cut off) in my pear tree to repel deer. The neighbor has done this also to keep the deer from munching on her plants which they were doing.
    My "back yard" is about 120' deep by 450' wide if this helps at all. I find the soap idea interesting and will do some more research on it. I think it would be easy to do and it is the brand I use anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Hill View Post

I actually got my first ever tick on my leg tonight. Bad news is tomorrow is first day of the youth turkey hunt so hopefully my son and I remove a tick eater from the population tomorrow.

Deer are smart. What they eat and what they fear are very much family based and depends upon what they have been taught. Lots of things will work until the first deer ignors it. Then they all will.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

When I was a kid we always put sulfur in our socks for the ticks and chiggers. It seemed to keep more of them off...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I am having the same problem. We have a 20 acre farm, and probably keep 4 acres mowed, and probably have 10 acres of woods. The rest is overgrown pasture. Even in the areas right around the house, where the grass is kept short, we are getting ticks. We do have a lot of deer here in KY. We have gotten chickens, but right now they are only about a month old and are only outside free ranging on the warm days. I am hoping that they get them under control as soon as they are big enough to be outside all of the time.

Just how noisy are guineas?

I have always read that ticks live in the lower 18" of growth. I am pretty sure they don't jump out of trees, etc. Finding them on your head just means that they made a journey up after jumping on board down below. They can spend a long time just hanging to a blade of grass, then when a critter, etc. is sensed going by, they spring into action onto the victim. I have often wandered for long walks in very tick infested woods and managed to keep them off me above the belt by periodically checking my pants and picking them off as they wander upwards. Wear light colored pants to see them better and just keep checking your legs and removing them. Sounds tedious, but it can be effective. Of course they can get under the cuff and get imbedded in your belt line, etc.

Tics, definitely drop down from tree branches.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

We have similar problem in NE with ticks. If you can't bring in the guinea fowl and would like to defoliate a path or area around the hives without poison or fire try this. find some old scrap metal roofing or siding or buy some if need be. lay it down on the path or area around the hives you want to have access to. lay it down for about 2 weeks in the sunshine and all vegetation below will die off and with no grass or brush for the bugs cant ambush you from- they will go too. their nests and eggs and all will die in the intense heat as well. that area should be plant free for months unless you reseed after the tick bloom. it works and it is environmentally sound. wear sun glasses and gloves when moving the stuff in the sun.

I used to work construction. I noticed one day all the flys we're on me at lunch... Only me. When asked the rest of the crew just laughed. A week later they let me in on the secret. They all ate onions and garlic in large quantities. While I would try to avoid garlic in large quantities this diet does change your smell and insects do not like it. Well them and wives so this may be a bad thing as well.

You could also plant Dutch clover to bring in wild birds to eat ticks. The guy that said ticks just like the taste of some people is right... Change your taste.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast