Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ticks-can't take it any longer. What to do/

Try eating garlic or take garlic capsules daily. Supposed to work for dogs for fleas, etc. (biting insects) My guess is it would help humans too. Mint/peppermint is also supposed to repel mice.

Move up north! Ticks happen, but not so much you worry about it. Also no hive beetles, little foul brood, lots of alfalfa. Only drawback is that winter thingy...

Permethrin is dangerously toxic to cats. You may have mice problem which is causing your tick problem?

Quote Originally Posted by smith View Post
    Move up north! Ticks happen, but not so much you worry about it.
    What?? Deer ticks pound us this time of the year. I've had to dig two out of my myself already and the season hasn't hardly got started. Every night before bed, I check myself for ticks. I've found as many as 6 a night, and often 1 or 2. Was talking to Keith J on the phone the other day and watched two Deer ticks crawling up my pants...before I smashed them.

Just a matter of time before Lyme shows up on one of my periodic tests.

You can build a barrier with wet-able sulfur powder and sevin dust, define a perimeter and apply both to the ground like a chalk line used for sports, then treat area within with some form of long acting granules. Bugs will not cross this and if some do the sevin gets them, this is an old farming technique that I've used for ants, ticks and chiggers.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

Go to tractor supply and get some permethrin spray. You can buy it at 10%, dilute it down to 1 or less in a spray bottle and spray your clothes and let it dry. It will last a few weeks and even work after you wash your clothes. You can also try the elimitick clothing.

We've got them bad here too. In the past I always had a can of Deep Woods Off in my truck and would spray my pants and shoes. This works well. Last season I bought permethrin spray and that too appears to work well. The permethrin is less hassle since you don't need to reapply so often. Designate a pair of pants as your "Bee" pants and reuse without washing - the bees won't mind Just last night I was walking through knee-high grass and not a single tick.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Check out this Tick Handbook published by the state of Connecticut.

http://www.ct.gov/CAES/lib/caes/docu...ckHandbook.pdf
    Jump to page 37 for Tick Integrated pest management

Its 60 pages and what I remember from reading it years ago is that Deer and rodents are the main carriers of ticks so if you can reduce their presence your tick level will dramatically drop! That along with less brush and shorter grass helps reduce ticks.

I have a deer fence enclosing 3 acres of gardens, orchards, woods and our house and we rarely get ticks on us. But as soon as we step outside the fence to walk in the woods or pick from our Shittakee mushroom logs we nailed. Sometimes just one or two but more times than I care to admit my legs have turned dark from thousands upon thousand of seed ticks. Talk about a terrible feeling! That has never happened in the woods or grass inside the deer fence.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Ryan Williamson; 04-18-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Bear View Post
    You can build a barrier with wet-able sulfur powder and sevin dust, define a perimeter and apply both to the ground like a chalk line used for sports, then treat area within with some form of long acting granules. Bugs will not cross this and if some do the sevin gets them, this is an old farming technique that I've used for ants, ticks and chiggers.
    I don't think I would want sevin dust ANYWHERE near my bees. BAD BAD STUFF for bees.

why not move the hives to a tick free area?

Many people keep hives in suburban back yards 15-20 feet from the back of a house. mine sit 50' from my house.

why go all the way "to the back of the property" when there is better tick free area elsewere on the property.

How tall is the grass you have to go through to get to the hive? Short grass significantly reduces the living space for the ticks which naturally should reduce the numbers.

I vote for cutting the grass and cut back any brush. Also, cut any low hanging tree branches around your hives or your path to/from the hives. Ticks will crawl up trees and out to the branch tips and drop on you as you go by.

One tick per visit is not a terrible problem. I get that stepping out on the porch. Common bee keeper coveralls tucked into boots will take care of that. No need to nuke everything. One a visit, you're not the target host. Get rid of or treat what they are feeding on.

Chickens or Guinea's will take care of the ticks...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Both Chickens or Guinea's are good - Guinea's are much better than the chickens, but you get more eggs with the chickens! I have both.

Deer also may bring in ticks. Ticks also don't like short grass either.

>but you get more eggs with the chickens!

and a lot less noise...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Challenger, I know you said you can't have chickens but what if a friend brought over a few pet chickens and then took them back. Chickens have sonar for tics it seams. I don't think it would take long for the chickens to make an impact.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I heard that lice shampoo will keep them off of you. Good tip if you are dealing with deer ticks that are hard to spot in hair. Try eating plenty of garlic too.

Garlic works but you have to eat it daily and a couple globes a day . I grow garlic {2000 globes a year} and love it my wife on the other hand can't eat alot of it to much for her and she and my daughter get tick all the time . i've only ever had one on me .
    Guinea's didn't work for me and there trouble makers with the neighbors.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast