Default Italians-Buckfast-Russians

Hey beeks
    So Ive mostly kept Carnolian and now im expanding into other breeds. They will all be HBTM resistant and they would either be Italian, buckfast or Russian. Im in eastern Canada and use my bees for pollination and honey so Im not sure about these breeds. Anyone have experience with any of them and please dont just tell me you like them or to go with one of them without stating why. If you can tell me what you like about them and what you dislike about them. Thanks again folks

Default Re: Italians-Buckfast-Russians

I keep both the Italians and Carniolan. What can you tell me about your experiences with the carniolan?
    I like the Italians because they build up fast in early spring. Many times I half way crush them on the side of the
    frame but they still live. They are loyal to their queen so makes them harder to requeen. But once accepted they will love her to death. Also, they are aggressive bees if they don't like you. And when they are gentle they are like a little puppy. So this type will swing in both directions.
    I don't think they like to be bother much though. If you pinch one then 5-6 will attack your face in force. Somehow they like to just attack the face. That mean they are very close to each others. Perhaps they recognize you the day before when you open up their hive. When they are lazy they are but when it is time to get busy they really work hard to build up for the hive. In warmer region this is the best type of bees to keep because the queen can lay for a long time into the season I heard. So with extended flow this is the one to keep. I'm not sure about the other yet. And only have limited experiences with the carnis.

i do not have a solid answer but it seems the "pure"russians are real good bees but the cross bred ones are so varriable that you may wish to avoid them. it is not just temperment. i had some hives of carnilolian/russian crosses that would not start laying after dry weather to the point of no bees for winter, these were super gentle but they would not raise any fall brood. i know they are known for small winter clusters but some young bees are needed before winter. others have seen russian crosses that got real mean after a couple of generations. keeping any bees "pure" is almost impossible thru the generations, unless you are totaly isolated or keep buying certified queens. i am trying really hard to avoid adding russian to the mix...i am near kingston ontario so i am not in a down south climate. the general oppinion that i have picked up and seen is that the russians do not pass on their desireable traits regularly.
    Last edited by mathesonequip; 04-22-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Im in PEI and trying to buy Ontario queens, so far I only seem to find Buckfast and Russian