Default looks like I got bees in my swarm trap, now what?

I had a new swarm I caught a month ago, swarmed on me last Saturday.... Think there were too many for one deep, is all I can figure. Afterward I got my swarm trap out and set it where the swarm had landed (they had left after about an hour, before I could get the trap set up) didn't get anything. It was going to rain, so I took the trap and set it on my gardening cart under my shed, when I got home just now, there are bees steady in and out of it, and on the screen of the shed.

Now, how do I get the bees to the hive, that is about 100 feet away? If I just take it to the hive and dump them in, will the others follow? Or maybe if I wait a little later in the evening, will most of them be in the trap and then pour them in the hive?

Default Re: looks like I got bees in my swarm trap, now what?

Don't wait any longer as swarm doesn't wait for people to get to them.
    You have to go quickly to catch them into your hive box. Scoop some in and the other
    will follow. Try to get the queen first if you can because they will follow the queen where ever
    she goes. So if you catch the queen you got them all They may fly away if you wait for them later
    in the evening.

It was a bum deal.... don't know what was going on, but bees were flying in and out steadily.... I took it out to the hive and opened it and there were only about 30 bees in it... they came flying out, around me and the hive, so I just left the trap there. As I was going by the shed I looked and there was about 100 bees flying around like they were looking for the trap....

get the trap out there NOW,, they are looking for it,, and interested in moving in

george is right. Those where scout bees checking out your swarm trap. It can sometimes be hard to tell if a swarm has really moved in or if it is just scout bees. The best way to know is just leave it a lone and go check it right around dark. If there are still bees in it then you can be pretty sure they moved in. Move it back to where you had it and you might get lucky.

I put it back and put the nasonov back in it... they were flying around it yesterday, maybe 15-20, but more today (fingers crossed) Well, I know there are at least 5 hives in the area... 2 wild that were here when I moved here, one from my first hive swarming in March last year, one from beetle infestation and hive absconded in July, and the one that swarmed last Sat.

I watched them Thursday, they were back, but I didn't disturb them....Friday we had cooler temps and rain all day, so I didn't mess with them....Yesterday (Sat), I went and looked in the trap and there was a small cluster a little bigger than a softball, and they had a little bit of comb started already, about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide. I took them over to the hive I had prepared and dumped them in, quickly replacing frames and putting the top on. I had put a queen excluder on the bottom of the deep to help keep the queen in, on the advice of a club member. I went back to where the trap had been sitting about 20 minutes later and there were LOTS of bees flying around looking for the trap, so I put it back in the same place and bees immediately started going inside. I waited about 15 minutes and they seemed like the majority had went in and settled down, just a few bees in and out like normal. Then I took the trap back out to the hive and opened the lid and just set it right at the entrance to the hive, there were workers on the front porch of the hive fanning their wings as if to say, "come hither". I repeated this about two or three times, and the amount of bees returning to the trap site were diminishing more and more. Finally when it was getting late evening, I just left the trap in place, so hopefully the rest of the bees would go inside and ball up for the night. This morning it was chilly, 35F, so I went and got the trap and peeped inside, there was only about a golf ball size of bees clustered in it, so I took the trap back out to the hive and left it. Hopefully, all the bees will be in the hive now.

When they are fanning as you say they seem to be saying
    come hither
    They are saying come hither, fore in here is our Queen

I would remove the queen excluder just in case you have a virgin queen in there from an afterswarm. She will need to get out to mate.
    To everything there is a season....

tommyt ^ Yeah, I caught another swarm about a month ago, and I caught it on video. They were on the ground, and I took a deep with bottom board and put some nasonov in it and put it right beside the big circle of bees on the ground, then put little sticks like ramps going up to the hive. They started streaming in shortly, and you could see the ones going up the sticks into the hive fanning their wings back toward the others, it was cool to watch.

It should be ok to leave the excluder on til tomorrow shouldn't it? I was hoping to wait until they are established a little more....I hope the rest of the bees in the trap will go in shortly as it is warming up... I just went out there and put a feeder of syrup on top of the hive and there were two or three bees coming out, so they are starting to stir around a little.

Watching the bee march is just terrific
    I like it more if the home owner or other non beeks are able to witness
    I feel the queen excluder should go
    If you feel better leaving it till tomorrow fine but no longer IMHO

Good,luck
    I really like swarms

Should be fine to leave it on until tomorrow. Do a quick check to see if there may be any eggs in the comb yet. If so then you have a mated queen. But then again, if she's laying they are probably not going anywhere. You just don't want to keep a virgin queen penned up too long.
    To everything there is a season....

Heck yeah,
    I took the dvd I made to work, everyone is passing it around, they think it's cool as heck!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    Watching the bee march is just terrific
    I like it more if the home owner or other non beeks are able to witness
    I feel the queen excluder should go
    If you feel better leaving it till tomorrow fine but no longer IMHO

Good,luck
    I really like swarms