I'm in need of some advice from those more experienced.
New beek - chickens 4yrs, garden 10+yrs, carpenter 20+ yrs. But in this case of bee installation, I'm flummoxed!
New KTBH with 1" foundation strips attached to top bars ala Dr. Magnum's recommendations. Observation hive made of 1" thick boards and inserted plexi peek-a-boo windows (think storm windows). Windows covered with 1/2" piece of wood on hinges.
3# packages with queens arriving Thursday noon.
Thursday weather - sunny, warm, high mid 60's
Thursday night - cold front from Colorado moves into area dropping temps overnight to below 28 degrees
Friday weather - rainy, cold, wet, high low 40's
Friday night - cold front moves out, low of mid 30's
Saturday weather - seasonably warm, sunny, mild, mid to high 50's
Similar for rest of week.
So, knowing this cold front is moving in....do I delay installation of the packages until Saturday morning (an extra day) and bring the bees into my insulated cool garage (dry), provide sugar water spritzes every couple hours and wait for the sun?
Or do I install in the nice weather immediately, knowing something nasty is coming in shortly and keep fingers crossed for overnight.
Intend to hang the queen from bar #4 on a piece of wire about an inch from bottom of foundation strip.
What would YOU do if this was your hive? Got about 22hrs to figure it out and hoping for some enlightenment here! Thanks!