Default How do you process cutout comb?

Hey guys/gals!

I was curious about how you harvest honey from a cutout...I'm thinking its done the same way a top bar hive is performed by either bottling whole comb or crushing..I was just trying to find a better method because my method was a sticky mess! I used cheesecloth and squeezed it all out into a 5 gallon bucket, the bucket also had a screen on it. I then took the wax and put it in my plastic cappings / honey separator to further get the remaining honey out...anyone have a better method? I wish I could use it in my extractor to sling it but I'm sure the comb will fall to pieces during the centrifugal process.

- Jared

Default Re: How do you process cutout comb?

Personally, I don't save/keep honey from cut-outs. One never knows if someone had sprayed the bees before you got to them. I'll pass.
    Regards, Barry

Crush and strain as far as I know is the only method.
    You may as well get used to a sticky mess... it's just part of our (and your) addiction! lol

Barry, I totally agree with your caution regarding cutout honey being contaminated however this house was vacant for a year and they came during that time so I'm sure they've never been exposed.

MrBeeman, ya it **** sure is an addiction! I get a rush from it really! Especially getting stung will wake ya up! Hah!!

Jared Waites... Not a method, but,a way to strain. A five gallon paint strainer over a five gallon bucket works well for crush and strain. They are not expensive, you can find them at Lowes, Home Depot, and paint stores.

cchoganjr

With cutouts that abscond and leave brood. I put the brood over a selected hive that I can lose, just in case of any contamination. They clean up and raise the brood. With the honey I feed it back to them.

Cleo,

Thanks! I actually have one..>I crushed by hand with cheesecloth over the 5 gallon strainer bucket!

BackyardPhenomena, this is exactly what I do but I've been using rubber bands to band the comb into a deep brood box and take my bees I've vacuumed into it.

I leave the honey for them to eat although some drown so I try to just leave the comb and let them pick through it...do you have another method that you use to feed the honey back to them?

- Jared