Hybrid View

Default Round-up ready Dandelions?

I was talking to a row farmer yesterday. I was asking if he had noticed any plants showing resistance to Round-up and he mentioned Dandelions. I hadn't put two and two together until he mentioned this, but last year I had a surplus of Dandelion honey and sold it. I had been noticing the dandelions coming up in the crop fields, but hadn't thought much of it. Is anyone else noticing Dandelions in abundance? If this is a trend we could end up with bigger Dandelion flows in the future.

Default Re: Round-up ready Dandelions?

Is dandelion honey bad?

Lots of weeds showing resistance. Farmers around here are paying people to go out and pull pigweed by hand. Its nice to ride by a field and see people out working in the field like it used to be.

I don't have any bees just yet (studying up and wondering if I can keep them at my parent's house since I'm not sure I can have them at my duplex), but there have been a ton of dandelions popping up in the yard and the bees are all over them. Saw what looked like an all black bee on one too, either that or a massive fly..

They will just switch to another herbicide. They will spray 2-4-d then switch back again. If there is a large hay field that would be the one to keep a eye on. But most of the time the Dandelions are being worked under during planting or tilling.

Round Up never got dandelions very well to begin with. Zero till farmers will have trouble with that weed along with a few others that are not as susceptible
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Clopyralid works good. Here it is in the chem names lontrel and curtail.

Very interesting post Dave, I've finally figured out why sometimes it doesn't work properly for me. Much thanks.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Just passing along a home remedy I personally haven't tried. But it came from a source I'd trust. 1/2 gallon apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup of table salt, 1/2 tsp Dawn dish liquid. Mix it up and put it in a spray bottle (or sprayer) and spray weeds thoroughly. The Dawn strips the protective oil coating and lets the vinegar/salt go to work. May be worth a try.

I see a lot of "round-up ready" hen bit blooming in all the corn fields around here and they aren't even planted yet...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Mixed this up last week, sprayed it on in the am and was wilted in the afternoon. Dried up the next day.

>Believe it or not, I actually BOUGHT dandelion seeds for the first time this year.

Where did you buy them? I used to be able to buy them from Gurney's but haven't seen them lately...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Again, are dandelions bad for bees?

> Again, are dandelions bad for bees?

No. Dandelions are often an important source of early spring nectar and pollen for bees.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger View Post
    Again, are dandelions bad for bees?
    Believe it or not, I actually BOUGHT dandelion seeds for the first time this year.

Dandelion honey is an acquired taste, it goes down sweet and then (to my mouth) leaves an acrid taste. I have 1 kid who likes it, and 3 that don't.

Cool.. This thread had me worried, they are everywhere lol