Default Keeping your hives safe in Tornado Alley

I don't have any hives just yet, but I was wondering, since a large, severe storm came through overnight, with lots of rain and wind gusts, how do you keep your hives from being blown over?

Default Re: Keeping your hives safe in Tornado Alley

Do I dare? Twist my arm .... .... OK, this is for the newbees ....

Some storm hive stabilization ideas in this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ight=Hurricane

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thumbs Up Re: Keeping your hives safe in Tornado Alley

This is what I did. bees 001.jpg The bench keeps the hives off the ground and the yellow ropes keep them fairly secure (note the bungee cord tightening the slack in the ropes between hive one and two, counting from the left). The bungee cord allows me to release the ropes in seconds for hive maintenance. We routinely have 50-60 mph gusts associated with thunderstorms. We also have prevailing winds around 10-20 mph most days in March & April. I've set some plywood at the end of the bench next to the chair to give the bees a break from the prevailing winds. You're bees are not going to survive an attack from a tornado no matter what you do, so why worry?
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

wow...... nice pic... seems a bit OCD but who am I to say!

I don't do anything. good covers. natural wind breaks when avalible... but some hives are flat in the middle of open fields. even cattle.... I lose maybe 1 cover a year to winds (I use deep rimmed telescoping) never had a hive tip on its own or wind.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    wow...... nice pic... seems a bit OCD but who am I to say! ....
    I lose maybe 1 cover a year to winds (I use deep rimmed telescoping) never had a hive tip on its own or wind.
    OCD, no argument Before the ropes, I would frequently lose one cover a day in windy weeks.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    OCD, no argument Before the ropes, I would frequently lose one cover a day in windy weeks.
    It's actually CDO, In alphabetical order - the way it should be!
    DsBs.Etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    You're bees are not going to survive an attack from a tornado no matter what you do, so why worry?
    I know they won't survive a tornado, I'm just asking since I live at the edge of tornado alley, I get many severe storms in spring and fall. Just want to make sure I keep them safe!

If Lee is OCD, then I'm beyond the pale, I guess. I have my hive stands set in concrete and I use ratcheting tie downs on each box. Having lost my entire operation to hurricanes several times when I was in Florida, I decided to take no chances here in Alabama. LOLOL I was so eager to get away from the hurricanes that before I moved here I never even THOUGHT to ask about tornadoes and wound up in the soup all over again! So far we've lost a porch roof but the hives are doing fine.

Rusty