Default Installing bees in bad weather

My package bees arrive either tue or wen this week. The weather for tuesday is cooler and rainy high temps mid 50's. Wednesday it is warmer and still rainy high in the 70's.

When my bees arrive, do I need to install them ASAP or wait until the weather changes to the better. The rest of the week is suppose to be dry, but highs only in the 50's.

On a normal year we would have highs in the 70's every day this time of year and our trees would be in full bloom. We have been so cold that the trees haven't even though of blooming yet. Needless to say we have been having some crazy weather. Looking like a terrible year to try to start a bee hive in mid april.

Default Re: Installing bees in bad weather

I tell our class we will install rain or shine!!
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I do not like to install bees in the rain. They have been stressed enough from the ordeal of being packaged and shipped. I have done it many times though, erecting a fly, or awning over the hives helps. more for me I think. But you can wait until the weather is better. 50s are not bad as bees are often found flying on 50 degree days. Place your bees in a cool dark place and sprits them with sugar syrup 1 part sugar to 2 parts water a few times a day. This will keep them going as the feeder in the package may be empty, or plugged. Now I said sprits them not soak them.

If the weather is bad and I hold off a day or 2 is that too long? Would an insulated, non heated garage work to keep them in?

If they arrive on tuesday I would almost bet they would have to wait till wen evening to be put in the hive. I am subpoenaed to a jury trial that day and have a feeling it wont get out too early.

James Tew has a Youtube video where he shows a modified way of installing a package in cool, rainy weather. Go to youtube videos and look up onetewbees. It should come up.

I am a brand new beekeep, and just installed by first packages yesterday. Temp in the 30s here yet, and we still have snow on the ground. The Seller said to wrap the package in a blanket on the way to the hive.

I too am brand new and did my first two installs yesterday (so take this all with a grain of salt). The weather yesterday was upper 40s with intermittent rain and lots of wind, but that's the best temp we'll be seeing for a week, so I did the install. I did carry the packages to the hives in a tote as the wind was blowing about 10-15 mph. Once at the hives, they have a fence which was a good wind break, so no wind problems once I arrived. I waited for breaks in the rain - it didn't take long to set the queen and dump the bees. For what it's worth, I saw the first bee emerge this morning in the sun at 35 degrees and take a quick flight. By this afternoon, even at 41 degrees, there are a couple hundred out and about from each hive, so I hope that's a good sign. I'd love to think we'd hit 70 even with rain anytime soon. Maybe in May.

We installed ours either in the garage (my hive) or on the patio under roof (my brother's). Get them inside and the cover on and they will be fine. It was about 50F and raining when we installed them, both hives had problems but not because of the installation.

Peter

Little things matter. Oddly enough if it's rainy or kind of cold when you install things often work better as they don't drift... but you have to make sure they have some kind of food they can take (syrup that is below 50 F is too cold). You may have to warm up the syrup every day or give them some dry sugar that is close to the cluster (preferably overhead).

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#drysugar
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I to am going to put up 2 packages this Saturday it's snowing right now we are looking at 2 to 6 inches. Weather for Saturday 40 for high and low's in the high 20's til next week then high 30's for lows and maybe 50's for high's. Should I put dry sugar on top or put in warm syrup daily ? Should I put a builtrite enclosure around ea hive to help with wind and cold ? This winter just won't let loose it's grips. Have some syrup honey in frames from last fall I think I will put some of them in also. HELP.............................