Hybrid View

Default European Foulbrood: Your experience with Tylan?

It appears that the general consensus on Beesource is "Tylan doesn't work on European Foulbrood." Some beekeepers still recommend Tylan, though, and say that some strains of EFB are resistant to Terramycin. The only way to observe what's actually true is to listen to beekeepers who have seen for themselves which treatment cures EFB.

I'd like to keep this particular conversation about "treating with antibiotics", and not talk about "the shake-down method" or, "natural selection - letting them die". I'm a bee inspector (yeah, I know you love bee inspectors), and I see plenty of European Foulbrood. I want to stay up-to-date on my suggestions for treatments, so I'm trying to figure out which treatments are the most effective for saving hobby/sideliner hives and eventually eliminating EFB from the infected apiary.

Its sad to see someone lose a whole apiary of bees to EFB. It can be really serious. The more I read, and the more presentations I go to, the more questions I have. Lately, I'll read from a source that I thought was the gospel, and find myself thinking "well, that can't actually be true anymore..."

Default Re: European Foulbrood: Your experience with Tylan?

Streptomycin is much more effective on EFB than Terramycin or Tylan, but it's not approved.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I did see that you've said that before...

I lost my only hive last spring to EFB and wax moths in spite of treating with Terramycin. Can't tell you if the Terramycin was not effective or the hive was too far gone to save, my rookie mistake of not feeding it up in the fall probably doomed it anyway.

I suspect the EFB was present in the fall, too and I didn't notice it in time as well -- steep learning curve.

Peter

Kind of off topic and just throwing this out the for all who read this thread. The symptoms of EFB and Parasitic mite syndrome are for all practical purposes identical. I've had a few novices and even seasoned beekeepers call me in a panic asking me what to do with what they have diagnosed as EFB, when in reality it is actually PMS.

Quote Originally Posted by rbees View Post
    Kind of off topic and just throwing this out the for all who read this thread. The symptoms of EFB and Parasitic mite syndrome are for all practical purposes identical. I've had a few novices and even seasoned beekeepers call me in a panic asking me what to do with what they have diagnosed as EFB, when in reality it is actually PMS.
    This is true to a degree. That's why it can help to send a sample to Beltsville. It can also hurt to send a sample to Beltsville, because sometimes you get a "No Disease Found" report, and one year later, the EFB has spread.

I'm an "organic" enthusiast. But "organic" isn't practical for beekeepers with 30 or more hives - and these are the people who seem to suffer from EFB. They started out beekeeping as a hobby, got a hold of some old equipment, or did a cut-out, brought the EFB home, and a few years later, its taking down half of the hives. At that stage, its time to clean the disease out for good - or take the blame for contaminating the environment.

After looking around, I've decided that THIS is what I'm going to prescribe as the EFB treatment. It's a lot of work, but it looks to be the most effective. Here's the link:

http://www.extension.org/pages/23697...lbrood-control

Here's the text:

The Shook Swarm and Oxytetracycline (Terramycin) Method

Research Summary

Citation: Waite, R. J., Brown, M. A., Thompson, H. M., Bew, M. H. (2003). Controlling European foulbrood with the shook swarm method and oxytetracycline in the UK. Apidologie 34: 569-575.

Web Link:Controlling European foulbrood with the shook swarm method and oxytetracycline in the UK.

Brief Description: In the United Kingdom, where this study occurred, European foulbrood (EFB) is a regulated disease. Typically, infected colonies can be treated with the antibiotic oxytetracycline (OTC), if the colony is determined to be able to respond to treatment. When the infection is severe, the colony is destroyed. The objective of this study was to determine if the shook swarm method combined with the antibiotic, OTC could be as effective at controlling the disease as OTC treatment alone.

The tested method involves shaking all the bees off the combs in EFB infected hives. The queen is caged separately and released with the workers later. The shaken bees are put on new or contaminate free equipment and foundation. The contaminated combs were destroyed. Once on new equipment, the bees were fed sugar syrup containing the antibiotic, OTC. The method to do this was to fill a 250 ml jar with 1kg table sugar and 568 ml of water. 1g of OTC (active ingredient) was added to the syrup. This was then sprinkled into cells on empty frames next to the brood nest, avoiding open brood. The concentrated solution will kill open brood, but should not cause problems once diluted by worker bees. Eight weeks later, the colonies were inspected for clinical signs of disease. Control colonies were fed OTC the same way, but the shook swarm method was not used.

During the season after treatment, most colonies responded well to both the control and shook swarm methods. Some colonies died that season, or became reinfected, but both methods seemed overall effective. The following season however showed different results. Control colonies treated with OTC alone became reinfected at the level of 21.1%. Colonies treated with OTC and the shook swarm method became reinfected only about at 4.8%. However, 4 of the shook swarm colonies died while only 2 of the control colonies died. The total number of colonies in the trial was 50.

Implications: The authors suggest that this is a promising method to control EFB and was well received by the beekeepers in the study. (Reviewer's note: Other studies describe the problem of recurrence of EFB in subsequent years. Methods to reduce recurrence are likely to be important in problematic EFB areas.) The authors point out that American foulbrood control has not been as successful with this method. This study only suggests this method is successful for the control of EFB.

Are EFB combs infectious? What should be done with EFB die outs? I have a stack sitting on top of an EFB hive that recovered strongly with Terramycin treatment. Only about 25% of treated hives recovered, the rest died over winter with plenty of stores. Does extracting EFB brood chambers spread
    EFB through to other equipment during the extracting process? Is EFB spread through extracting supers?