Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How's your spring????

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Maple honey is very nice. People either love it or hate it. Not much in between. Nice yellow colour, slow to granulate.
    I extracted a super of it last nite. It sure is a unique flavour, and I can see what you mean, love it or hate it.

Amazing the difference in spring between us here on the coast, and those on the other side of the rocks. Coquihalla was closed by a blizzard a few days ago, apparently 50cm of snow (2 feet for you folks down south). Talked to an aunt in saskatchewan yesterday, she was talking about a full on blizzard complete with road closures etc a few days ago. And here, maples are done, drones are flying, apples and arbutus in full bloom. The bees all survived, and are going gangbusters. One hive has the second super already half capped, the rest are all busy capping in the first one. There is a full week of sun in the forcast, and, I suspect I will be able to extract another half dozen supers when the holly trees are done. Not a bad start for only 6 hives, and half the supers went on as fresh plastic with no comb.

We had to plow our way into all the yards but spring finaly made it. All our bees are wintered outside so with the winter we had we were not sure what we would find. It was a nice surprise as our losses were just below 10 per cent. They are going hard after the feed these days. Hoping to see some pollen coming in from willow and poplar this week.
    Last edited by dgl1948; 05-06-2013 at 08:20 PM.

I really do feel for you folks on the prairies this spring. About an hour after I posted above about extracting the first super of spring honey, I walked outside and watched the hive beside the house swarm. I really didn't expect that so early from a hive that wintered as a nuc and moved into 10 frame gear just 2 weeks ago.

We're thawing out but no bloom as yet. Splitting hives is tough due to robbing but I'm making some progress. You guys in prairie Canada getting any decent weather? Still snow but it's getting tougher to find!

We still have small patches of snow around, but the pollen from the poplars started coming in yesterday and today the bees were bring in a lot of poplar pollen.

Last tuesday we had close to 40 cm of heavy wet snow blanket us and this was less than a week after the rest of the snow had finally melted. On Sunday the majority of the snow was gone again, we hived 80 Australian packages that evening then monday(yesterday) was 27 degrees. We saw some pollen coming in for the first time this year. Our wintered hives are weak, its been a long winter. Seeding will be delayed which is a good thing for us, I'm sure a lot of farmers are reconsidering their seeding options and are moving away from soybeans which have only recently been introduced into our area.

Last of the snow left my yard today.It will be a while before anyone is on the land here. There will be a lot of late seeding and I am sure lots of changes to cropping plans.

Guys are getting tired cause of the 12 hour days. Phone keeps ringing for bees on pollination and for buying bees. Weather is great, bees are generally good to excellent. Feels great to be a beekeeper this year. Demand is very high for our services, honey prices are rising. Not sure that it could get much better. Will attempt to set some profits aside for the leaner days that are sure to follow at some point.

Jean-Marc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123