Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How's your spring????

Cleared the road to my staging yard at home today. Looks like that yard won't take long to melt if we ever get temperature greater than 2 C.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Martens View Post
    Cleared the road to my staging yard at home today. Looks like that yard won't take long to melt if we ever get temperature greater than 2 C.
    Allen. We still have a pretty good frost seal with no signs of any seepage into the ground when we get a little melt. We were dry in the fall but early snow melted enough to seep in and froze hard over winter. Ice on the area lakes is still 3 feet thick so I'd guess the ground is frozen pretty deep too. When does your frost seal usually go out? Here, we're usually pretty well thawed by the first of April.

Quote Originally Posted by beebreeder View Post
    Hi All
    Well from the UK the same answer, what spring, the bees are usually now on the dandelions and buildup is underway, instead we are still feeding fondant, patties etc, we get a couple of warmer days then rain and cold again, and this follows a terrible season last year, I think losses are going to be high over here.
    Kev
    Sounds like the weather pattern isn't just in North America. Hope the weather turns around and those dandelions start cranking out nectar! How's the moisture in the UK compared to last year?

We're usually thawed by the second week in April. This year, everything is still white with a foot or two of snow left. Heard today it was the latest spring in 141 years.

My home yard is a gravel ridge so there is never standing water. Even water from a midwinter melt seeps away very quickly. Very nice for getting into the beeyard in spring.

not alot of frost in the ground this winter , no more than 18 inches
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Cool Re: How's your spring????

Too cold and to wet. Looking like a bad year for early queens.

The spring is just not starting, this time last year we were onto double brood boxes, this year I have not even opened some of them just topping up the fondant to keep them going as there is little pollen around as the flowers are not out either
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Euliss View Post
    Sounds like the weather pattern isn't just in North America. Hope the weather turns around and those dandelions start cranking out nectar! How's the moisture in the UK compared to last year?

oh man, I feel for you guys out on the praries. Here on the island, spring came a little early. Saw the first dandies already in early March, wowsers. I put supers on the bees in the holly farm 3 weeks ago, and the maples started blooming a couple days later. One of my hives is capping the first super, and putting nectar into the second. I'm hoping they get a few frames of that maple stuff capped over the next week. It'll be a bit of a chore to wind up the extractor for just a few frames, but I'm really curious about how maple honey will taste....

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    oh man, I feel for you guys out on the praries. Here on the island, spring came a little early. Saw the first dandies already in early March, wowsers. I put supers on the bees in the holly farm 3 weeks ago, and the maples started blooming a couple days later. One of my hives is capping the first super, and putting nectar into the second. I'm hoping they get a few frames of that maple stuff capped over the next week. It'll be a bit of a chore to wind up the extractor for just a few frames, but I'm really curious about how maple honey will taste....
    You just gave me spring fever!! Nothing like fresh-capped honey!

Maple honey is very nice. People either love it or hate it. Not much in between. Nice yellow colour, slow to granulate.

Jean-Marc

Im still walking down into my house off of a snow bank, I refuse to shovel it!!!! damnit, its April, its supposed to melt!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Im still walking down into my house off of a snow bank, I refuse to shovel it!!!! damnit, its April, its supposed to melt!
    That's the spirit! Just watched the weather-looks like we'll see it warming next week and the start of a drying pattern. In your forecast too?

ya, they keep promising next week
    hope it comes
    www.stepplerfarms.com

We got canola blooming already.... sorry to rub it in... they just planted about 80 acres next to my hives about 4 weeks ago too.... The other field is about 1 mile away, hopefully the girls find it, because they ate 2/3 a deep of honey already and barely any open nectar in the hives but they're ready for a 3rd deep anyway....

ya, they keep promising next week
    hope it comes
    We got a call from Beemaid saying queens will be here next week. Our hives are still under snow and we cannot get into yards.

ya I pushed all my queen orders back to middle of May to the end of May
    Just finished setting the last of the hives out, looks like 20-25% losses but the hives look awesome considering,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

It hasn't been so bad here. This has become one of the better springs I can remember. We had at one point close to 2 weeks of sun at the beginning of april with temps getting up to 22 degrees celcius (70 ferenheit). and for the most part it's been equal sun and rain. Couple this with a 5% loss and the hives are all strong and healthy, It the makings of a honey surplus yet to come. We have another 2 weeks of good sunny hot weather coming up and the maple, dandilions, and cherries are all out in full bloom, it has me all excited.

6 weeks ago I under supered my singles and a week ago i reversed them. quite a few of those new supers had 4-5 frames of brood already. My hives are in impressive shape. I will equalize again one more time before putting on the honey supers. After the spring flow I'll be making my nucs and get back up to 80 hives for the summer.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

ya I pushed all my queen orders back to middle of May to the end of May
    Just finished setting the last of the hives out, looks like 20-25% losses but the hives look awesome considering,
    We pushed our way into one yard yesterday, the snow is still 3 to 4 feet deep in the yards. Ropes on our covers prevented us from checking most of the hives. They are all iced in. We were able to check 16 hives and only found one dead one. That was a pleasant surprise after the winter we are having.

Snow called for tomorrow the 1 st of MAY....... heavy snowfall, 25 cm , in Dauphin area, here a high of plus 2, average temp should be 18 celsuis....winter refuses to go away

Pretty wild weather but it's showing signs of breaking. Our frost is out of the ground and much of the snow is gone. We hit 70 F over the weekend and it was in the mid-50s today Our lakes are still frozen and it's the latest our lakes have been frozen in the historical record. Tomorrow is forecast to be in the 40s which is ok since my bees came in today and I didn't get them all spaced out tonight. They are calling for another warm up this weekend so I can get a queen bank set up for queens that start coming in next week. I'd guess our buffalo berry will be blooming within a week with the saskatoons a week or so after that. It will be interesting to see how the season plays out!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast