Default Late start question

Due to most bee suppliers being sold out of packages, I am getting a late start on my first hive here in KS. My bee's are set to arrive on May 11th. I have a couple of questions:

• How long should I feed syrup with this late installment, and should I even bother with the entrance reducer?

• Should I even bother installing an entrance reducer?

• Has anyone had any problems with Italians that were ordered from Walter Kelley?

Thanks in advance for any answers provided. I'm so excited and I've put in lots of research time so I hope to not make too many mistakes. This is a pricey hobby!

Default Re: Late start question

Hello over here LOL
    Assuming starting with out drawn comb, feed them as long as they take it. I'm not familiar with KS but that is what I would do here. I keep my entrances at 5" +/- all the time. Bees can guard the entrance better/ more efficiently.
    Rick

Well, hello here as well Rick. Us beekeepers really get around. lol.

I appreciate the tips, and yes I will be starting them on new wax foundations. I bought a great used hive that a guy lost to starvation, but I'm excited to start my package new and watch them draw out the foundation. Thanks again!

-John

I would guess that in May there will be some kind of a flow on and it will be fairly warm, so personally I wouldn't use a reducer. I rarely use them anyway, but with a flow you don't have to worry about robbing. I would at least start feeding them. Again with any kind of a flow going they won't take it very fast. After a gallon or two you can decide if you need to keep going. If you feed after the flow is over, robbing can be a problem.

I have never fed bees much. People on Beesource seem to feed a lot more than I ever have. It may depend on location.