Hybrid View

Default 2 queen colony questions

A two queen colony with a queen excluder separating colonies.

1. Is this a nuc type situation or can you grow this colony to share a honey super? A Qn X would be necessary between brood super & Honey super.

What is the benefit of a 2Q colony vs two individual colonies?

If you can peacefully & productively maintain a 2 Qn colony, what is to stop you from a Qn bank type box w/Qn X separating any others? (room for brood?)
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Default Re: 2 queen colony questions

I forget the name, but I'm thinking about trying it this year.

If I recall correctly, two deeps on typical bottom board, a double queen excluder, another deep with second queen and top entrance above, supers above that. The double excluders keep the queens from stinging each other. The top entrance also lets the drones out. I've got a 3/8" spacer made to use between excluders.

The thinking is workers below will travel past the double excluders to the supers above. More workers per super. I hear you need to harvest throughout to keep super space available and help avoid swarming. When described to me, that configuration helps make full and presentable comb honey.

Keep us posted.

You will get more honey off the nucs with a 2 ways system. Remember that one strong hive will outproduce two smaller colonies.

Quote Originally Posted by lakebilly View Post
    A two queen colony with a queen excluder separating colonies.

1. Is this a nuc type situation or can you grow this colony to share a honey super? A Qn X would be necessary between brood super & Honey super.
    I used a double width hive with a vertical queen excluder in the middle. Thinking 3x width would have worked better to have easier access to brood nests. You can put a queen excluder under the shared supers on top.

What is the benefit of a 2Q colony vs two individual colonies?
    - Combination of desired qualities. For example: one hygienic, the other a great honey producer.
    - Produces a bit more honey than two separate colonies due to increased numbers.

If you can peacefully & productively maintain a 2 Qn colony, what is to stop you from a Qn bank type box w/Qn X separating any others? (room for brood?)
    Allows more room for each brood nest.

Other things includes:
    - If a queen dies or is removed the hive continues without any setbacks.
    - My hive drew out nearly 50 deep frames of foundationless comb (without feeding).

Here's more details about my experiences: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...fferent-breeds

Matt, Your post is what prompted my interest along w/ a suggestion that it would be a good way to replace some of the 40+ hives I lost this year. I saved your post to my favorites until I get the whole idea cemented in my thick skull.

Without building a dbl wide, just split a 10 frame down the middle w/QnX?

Any pics of your setup? I can't visualize the super above a double wide.(20 frames horizontal?)

throrope, interesting. bottom box lets drones out through porch exit? 3 deeps & Honey supers sounds like heavy lifting. Sounds like a good way to take brood frames, add queen for overwintering, or taking capped brood for cell builder.

I know of a russian man who disigned a two queen hive that was divided vertically. I have also been told of a man who made a 15 hive super. I am a jr in high school and I am going to do my senior project on the differant numbers of queens in one hive.

post it here.

Lakebilly, below is a photo of the setup with supers. The half width boxes on each side allow easy access to the brood chambers. The top entrances are into these and access to the super is via each roof. There is a pallet on top in the photo, which is not needed.

There is a vertical queen excluder in the center of the double width box. A queen excluder goes under the super. So the queen excluders are in a "T" shape. There is 14 frames for each queen.

The half width boxes are also great for making Nucs and it makes it easy to do a split.

I had to add another level of supers on as well. So thinking a 3x width box may be better if wanting a horizontal hive.

I found frames were drawn quickly in the half width boxes, so I moved frames to the center super and they would then cure the nectar there. Then more frames were drawn in the half width boxes.

Nice! This is when a "like" selection would be good.

Are you getting brood in the nuc boxes? I bet you could get a lot of nurse bees in the center box for cell starters.

What does the honey supers look like? a nuc box on each end & 10 frame in middle like the pic?

I think I am going to make a couple of these.

Yes, getting brood in the Nuc boxes. That's why I said each queen has 14 frames. 10 in the bottom and 4 in the Nucs.

I just had 10 frames supers above that. But you could just continue with the Nucs on the sides if you wanted. May need to put a strap on then.

I should also mention that they started winter as two 4 frame colonies with a solid partition in the center. Once they had 3 frames of brood each, I then merged them with the vertical queen excluder.