Default unusual swarm catch

For me anyway. I had this bait box at my friends, this one in the pic is sitting on a wicker top table. It's a 10 frame medium. A few feet away is a 10 frame deep on top a 4 foot ladder. This medium had a dead queen in it. Otherwise both boxes the same, 9 frames foundationless and 1 frame black comb, lgo. I strapped on a moving screen to make it easier later, left one entrance open.

My friend sent this text pic around 9 am. I suspect the swarm was there since yesterday, hunkered down with rain storms and a bit cooler night. But not sure why they did not move into box. I got there around 10 am and there were bees doing waggle dances on the surface of the swarm and pretty much none going in/out of hive box. I was pretty excited, as they covered a surface area of at least 1 foot by 1 foot.

I hope these pic come through upright, you might have to rotate your screen to see. In Preview top pic looks correct, next one, the bee cluster should bee on top.

swarm under bait box.jpg

So rather than hope they will move into box, I took the deep box, removed 5 frames, put under swarm and brushed bees into box, twice. Then put lid on with a gap and bees began to move in. Still some decent size clumps under table top, this pic is the underside of the table. They had begun building comb.

moving swarm into hive.jpg

Left them a bit, then moved lid off again and tipped table top over hive and gave it a good shake. I replaced all the frames and covered, open a crack. Then the bees that'd fallen on ground and in air began to go in hive. After about 15 min I closed it all up and took it home. Once here, I put my cut out queen excluder piece over the entrance and taped the edges. I've watched it on and off all day, with rain alternating with sunshine going on. To me it looks like they would abscond if not for the queen excluder. The bees flying around the hive doesn't look like a typical orientation flight, though it's that many bees. Not that I know what they're thinking but to me it looks like they don't want to stay. I keep checking my tape work to make sure excluder secure. I wish now I would have tacked it, but I don't want to keep disturbing them so for now leaving it. I also wish I'd used a lid that had a feeder cap.
    I put the medium shown in this pic back on the table, hopefully the swarm smell will attract another swarm. If bees are still there a week or two from now, I will consider this a success.
    More fun with bees.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: unusual swarm catch

Interesting...so, did they stay?
    There is a similar swarm catch going on in our neck of the woods. Exact same picture, bees clinging to the bottom of his trap. I'm not sure, yet, how that one turned out either.

Default Re: unusual swarm catch

Yes they are still here. I put 2 frames of brood/honey on Tuesday, and the frames I saw in the box didn't have any comb built. I placed these at about frame 3 and 4. I didn't look any farther as not to disturb, plenty of bees hanging off each frame but couldn't tell if any comb building going on. The 2 brood frames, I didn't realize til I got them ready to put in, I'm not sure it had any open brood. Lots of capped brood. An oops but the bees are still there as of tonight. I will be relieved when I see them begin to bring in pollen.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF