Hybrid View

Default Long/Horizontal Deep Langs questions?

I'm ready to build my first horizontal Lang and my first question deals with the bottom board. I plan on using 3/4" plywood for bottom and 1x12 for sides, for those who've built one or more of these did you rabbit in the plywood, mount within the sides or attach directly to the bottom of sides? I plan on using the plywood as a template for keeping box square.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

Default Re: Long/Horizontal Deep Langs questions?

I just flush mount the plywood to the bottom, though I am an awful carpenter. I do router in the top though, for the frames to sit in. I use big heavy screws and lot's of glue to hold everything together. The hardest part for me is making the top cover, because I insulate them in layers and make them in two or three sections.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Paul, I looked your design over and did you go with 1/4" luan for your bottom? Also noticed you had 2 holes which I'm assuming are drain holes?

I used 1/4 plywood (or whatever I happen to have on hand). I have used pine boards too. Those two holes are double screened vent holes. I experiment with vents a lot due to the desert heat. I used to run screen bottoms, but they are way too drafty and too hard to build for little benefit.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

I just have 3/4" x 3/4" on the long sides, just screwed straight onto the plywood bottom. The other two sides are not permanently attached and can be opened up as entrances. (But the bees glue them in place.)

Looking at those migratory pallet bases you made the other weekend, you could just use them.

But I would also look at going 3x width, as with the 2x I had to put on two deep supers. So in all it was 3 deeps high, which is getting too high. I like easy access to the broodnest, without having to pull the whole hive apart.

I've designed a 50" 4 deep long hive to allow for two colonies in one setup with 4 migratory tops to allow for access to brood and to allow a super at each end. I intended to use 6 legs instead of 4 due to its length, now I'm torn between building 4 deeps versus a 3 deep hive based on your question earlier about my intent of the migratory bottoms I built. I have 4 not in use with the other 6 occupied by single deeps now. I'm thinking a 3 deep would sit nicely on one of these migratory pallets. I currently have them set up on top of a 4 high stack of pallets which puts management of frames at the right height for my back. I have a garden wagon that 2 people can lift the pallets onto if I need to move them. I still want to build a 4 deep long Lang but realistically I think a 3 deep long might work better with my current equipment and if needed I can always make a cradle later if I need to move them. I hadn't planned on being able to remove any of the sides, my intent is to build them like a Lang without a removable bottom, and all work within the hive performed from the top with the entrance built into migratory lids. I want to be able to sit a 2" piece of Styrofoam on top of these during the winter under a piece of corrugated material which I want to be 2” above the hive during the rest of the season due to the amount of sunshine we get yearly (desert conditions).