Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Comb honey production

Looking for new rock to beat my head on. Anyone have any experience with the Dadant bee o pac system? It appears that it is on the same order as the Hogg half combs so any experiences that lead to success with them would be appreciated too.

Default Re: Comb honey production

As one who has many $ on equipment for producing every conceivable type of comb honey styles out there the past 30 years let me give you the goods and the bads.

The goods:
    1. Consumers like them
    2. Something different
    3. Clean and presentable for sale
    4. A product a small beek can do without a million dollar extractor.

The bads:
    1. Expensive to set up
    2. If the bees fail to fill your scroogled.
    3. Lots of work (read time) for the dollars involved.
    4. Sales in large volumes at a profit is tough to achieve.

Ross rounds, Hogg half combs, or bee o pac... I'm personally off the track with them all.

We have switched to straight cut comb for about ten years now. For the $ derived for each pound produced while weighing in the pounds of flesh required I'm not going back to the fancy stuff anytime in the future.

We put some basswood sections out if conditions are right, which has not happened for quite a few years. Maybe we will get lucky this year.

crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    We have switched to straight cut comb for about ten years now. For the $ derived for each pound produced while weighing in the pounds of flesh required I'm not going back to the fancy stuff anytime in the future.
    Amen

I guess you have to be crazy to make basswood sections....

Crazy Roland

I guess you have to be crazy to make basswood sections....

Crazy Roland

I have a couple hundred basswood sections that I bought from an old beek and probably should try to use them up. That purchase was in 1971. Some say I am a packrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I have a couple hundred basswood sections that I bought from an old beek and probably should try to use them up. That purchase was in 1971. Some say I am a packrat.
    I think I still have some hanging around somewhere also. Acquired them who knows back when..... Haven't tried them for at least 25 years. Tough to do in NorCal.

I do have to admit that as a beekeeper I am a little impartial from an artistic point of view to these things. The simple design of a bass wood section when filled by the bees to the hilt ( no open cells or very few) displaying glistening row after glistening row of white capped cells has to rank up there in the top ten of "Honey-4-all's wonders of the natural world."

Holding one close to your eyes is like standing in front of Yosemite Falls, a soaring eagle, a sunset on the beach, or the watching an iceberg floating by an Alaskan cruise ship...... To get a perfect section all the conditions have to intersect like the carbon bonds of a diamond. The Bees, the flow, the right colored nectar, and the skill of the beekeeper. When it happens the art of the bees appears.....

Makes my heart want to sing........

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    I think I still have some hanging around somewhere also. Acquired them who knows back when..... Haven't tried them for at least 25 years. Tough to do in NorCal.

I do have to admit that as a beekeeper I am a little impartial from an artistic point of view to these things. The simple design of a bass wood section when filled by the bees to the hilt ( no open cells or very few) displaying glistening row after glistening row of white capped cells has to rank up there in the top ten of "Honey-4-all's wonders of the natural world."

Holding one close to your eyes is like standing in front of Yosemite Falls, a soaring eagle, a sunset on the beach, or the watching an iceberg floating by an Alaskan cruise ship...... To get a perfect section all the conditions have to intersect like the carbon bonds of a diamond. The Bees, the flow, the right colored nectar, and the skill of the beekeeper. When it happens the art of the bees appears.....

Makes my heart want to sing........
    Mine too

Wow! We have in our midst a beekeeper warrior poet! Nicely nicely said! Everything I feel and more. But I think Roland is right about being crazy to try them.

Vance, If you are serious about trying the RR I have a big pile sitting in the barn and Cargo container which will likely never get used again. If you get to Northern Ca I would loan you a few to try out before you spend you life savings on some. We used to make so many I even invented a motorized device and knife to remove the excess wax from the rings. Gets old twirling thousands by hand when a simple machine can help. They look beautiful when filled but are a little fragile on the consumer end. (sales point in stores from mishandling)

We quit as mentioned previously. The wholesalers were offering peanuts compared to the price I was getting for straight cut comb so I decided to forgo the pleasure of dealing with low offers and long hours for such a nice product.

If you run into a Montana beekeeper who could bring back a pallet full for me to pick up at his location, I would buy them from you. But it is not mandatory fun. I do thank you for your kind offer sir. I didn't think they would get shopworn that easily, but I suppose people squeeze peaches that hard too. I know how to handle cut comb, just feeling the need to tinker anyway. Why does honey need to be so sticky?

And the most wise words of the day;

"and the skill of the beekeeper."

Separates the the newbies from the skilled.

Crazy Roland

For those who have tried these systems, which did you prefer and why?
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

does 'straight cut comb' mean using a foundationless frame and cutting the combed honey out of it?
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

(Tracking.....as I'm doing cut comb in shallows this year.....)

Cool Re: Comb honey production

We have try many of these fancy comb honey mess-ups and don't have the $$$ to show for it. On avg. we product 100+ supers of nice white comb honey and make OK $$$. What I find is the year you don't produce comb honey, you will make the most for your $$$. I leave my Dad mess with the comb honey, because it is an art to be able produce it right. I don't have the time to beesit.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    does 'straight cut comb' mean using a foundationless frame and cutting the combed honey out of it?
    You can use foundation or starter strips.

There is a thin "comb" foundation that you can use... I've never ventured into comb honey, maybe one of these days....
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

Packrat only if the stuff has no value. In this case, you are storing away treasures.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast