Default box joint jig i made

i wanted an easy jig to make box joints with, so i made this one after looking at the dovetail jigs at the woodworking show last month. i use a 1/2" straight router bit with a 1/2" bearing. i designed it for medium boxes. if the boards are cut exactly 6.625, then the boards are symmetric. the long sides are cut on the left side and the ends are cut on the right. i reamed 2 holes for 1/2' dowel pins when i machined the fingers, so all i had to do was clamp a 2" x 6" to the 1/2" dowels when i screwed the jig to the 2"x 6" and it was perpendicular to the fingers. i may make same changes to make it quicker to clamp the boards such as adding a t slot to the 2"x 6" with a clamp so that i dont need a deep throat clamp. or i might make it shorter. currently it is a little under 12" so it could be used for deeps also. any thoughts? this could probably be made from wood also, using a dado just like making a box joint on a table saw, but go deeper to make a jig.
    crabbydad
    box joint jig 002.jpgbox joint jig 003.jpgbox joint jig 004.jpgbox joint jig 005.jpg
    Last edited by crabbydad; 02-16-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Default Re: box joint jig i made

Looks great Crabbydad! That ought to make some fine boxes.

Nice job crabbydad!! With one of those I might talk myself into making my own boxes.

How much are you thinking per fixture?

not sure how much i would charge if i made some to sell. depends on how many people wanted one. if the demand is high enough then i would have to buy material. for a couple, i would just borrow it from work.