Hybrid View

Default Long Drive Home with Grafts

I am going to a Queen Rearing class in two months. I will produce grafts on Thursday. I drive home on Saturday (9+ hours). How do I keep the grafts alive? I was thinking of setting up a queenless Nuc or Mini Nuc when I arrive on Monday, inserting the grafts on Thursday, and bring that home.

If the above works or you have a better idea, what is the action that I take when I get home? Leave them in the Nuc or Mini Nuc? Other action?

Default Re: Long Drive Home with Grafts

I think setting up a 4 frame mini nuc will do. Be sure to get the newly emerged nurse bees with some sealed broods and not the foragers.
    Keep them ventilated and feed syrup and patty inside the nuc. Don't let them out that you don't want them to fly around because
    you have to take them home afterward. Better test the nuc to ensure everything is 100% normal before going there.
    I'm not sure where you will put the nuc though while you're in the class.
    Once you're home put the graft in a strong nuc hive to grow the queen cells.
    If you have the option then bring a 2 frame newly emerged nurse bees in standard nuc to allow better take on the graft.
    More bees will feed your grafted cells better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    Tell us about the class. Who ie holding the class? Where? What is the cost? Who will be the instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by dphillipm View Post
    Tell us about the class. Who ie holding the class? Where? What is the cost? Who will be the instructors.
    Realisticly you can't. the only POSSIBLE way would be to fill the cup with royal jelly. But your grafts are a delicate thing. 9 hours without attendants to control temp humidity and food, is unlikely...

But the point of going to queen class is to learn how to do it when you get home....

You should have no problems if the grafts are placed in a cell builder with plenty of bees, food (carbs and protein), and ventilation (if there are plenty of bees, you won't have too much ventilation).
    Don't think of this as a way to move the grafts, think of it as you cell builder.

If the goal is to be able to raise some queens from the stock of whomever is giving the class, eggs are a bit more hardy than larvae, and maybe you can bring a chunk of comb with fresh eggs home (in an incubator or with some bees), and graft from them when they "hatch" a few days later, after you are home.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"