Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jacksonville/Florida new laws/rules, I may just not get started.

I deleted this, I'm angry and decided to cool off first. I'm upset with the proposed laws/rules coming to Florida Bee keepers...

Default Re: Jacksonville/Florida new laws/rules, I may just not get started.

Um, I'd kinda like to know what you are talking about. I have bees here in central FL and would like to know what more BS they are trying to ram down our throats to keep people from being self-sufficient.

But notice how poison honey from China is perfectly safe and legal.......but restrict all forms of communities being self-sufficient here in the U.S.

It's always for our OWN good.

Where do they have the time and money to keep harassing everyone?

Aren't cities, counties, states and nations going bankrupt and junk like that?

trance: I'd love to know what you are referring to, as well! Please enlighten us!

Ya whats up
    Iím really not that serious

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/pi/i...-13-SAMPLE.pdf

Went to my first Bee meeting last night (Jacksonville). Dr. Ellis from UF was there and did a really good job speaking about pests, virus' and all. After hearing all that I was still ready to keep bees. However at the end of the meeting things got a little heated. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus.

So no one is grandfathered in. If you live on property where you can only have 3 hives but currently have 4, too bad.

If you live on land with a house on each side but have acres and acres of wetlands right behind your house, too bad. (150 feet radius)

If your neighbor has a chicken buys a dog and it is confined to the back yard either buy fence or whatever and even if you had your bees first, too bad.

Unfortunately you live in a retirement state. Lots of folks come from other areas and they decide what you are doing is wrong and you need to be regulated.

Do you folks pay property taxes in Florida? I'd tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

John Q. Public is afraid of Africanized bees and is convinced they will swarm down and kill everything in sight. These rules are in response to those fears. We have always had to contend with public fears/unease about beekeeping, and as the population grows, so do the fears. The best thing the clubs can do is work to educate the public about requeening hot hives to combat AHB and how the more European drones we can get in the air, the milder the AHB feral population will become. Backyard hives play a BIG part in that. Convince the public that we are an ASSET in combating the problem and we will generate support for our hobby instead of restrictions.

JMO (as a former FL beekeeper)

Rusty

I went through this with Venomous snakes and the state of Florida... This is only the beginning in rules and fees. In one year the fee for keeping Venomous snakes went from $5.00 to $100.00, there is so much paper work now it's crazy! The state took years and years (they move slowly but this is only the beginning)
    Last edited by trance; 04-16-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Yup, don't bother buying any bees. Regulations apparently too onerous for you.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yup, don't bother buying any bees. Regulations apparently too onerous for you.

Ok, granted no one likes any regulations at all - personally I like to drive about 135 miles an hour, and it really chaps my cheeks that isn't allowed. But they are allowing 3 hives on lots that are less than a quarter acre, and six On lots that are less than a half acre. That sounds like that no matter how small your lot is you can have at least three hives, and on many lots that are a smidgen over a half acre you could have ten. That doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me.
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b

We are only allowed 2 per lot in Fort Wayne.....

Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    We are only allowed 2 per lot in Fort Wayne.....
    This new regulation/best practices is for NON agricultural land. Meaning mainly for urban and suburban beekeepers. This was put in place to allow the state to over-ride the local municipalities anti beekeeping ordinances and laws. I think it is well written and reasonable. If you have less than a 1/4 acre, I tyhink 3 colonies is reasonable. if you have less than a 1/4 acre and no neighbors then the count is unlimited.

Number of hives is not the only issue. However no consideration if your property borders acres of wetlands (for example) and you only have 2 neighbors on either side.

As I said, it got a bit heated. Not everyone will agree with all of it.
    Last edited by trance; 04-16-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    Unfortunately you live in a retirement state. Lots of folks come from other areas and they decide what you are doing is wrong and you need to be regulated.
    So lets eliminate the back yard beek and let the feral Africanís take over, good idea.

Now I have to buy my queens only from certain people? I read the PDF. I had to look up what a EHB certified queen breeder was. Still not sure. So does this mean one can not breed there own queens? Other thing how can any breeder insure the lines of a queen if she is open breed?

Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    Number of hives is not the only issue. However no consideration if your property borders acres of wetlands (for example) and you only have 2 neighbors on either side.

As I said, it got a bit heated. Not everyone will agree with all of it.
    So it only looks to be an issue in non agricultural areas. I can see the irritation point about only being restricted to 3 colonies in your backyard, but how many colonies in an urban environment can you have and still have them produce adequate honey to survive? I know its a loaded question because of all the variables. I couldn't see someone placing 32 colonies in their back yard, in the middle of any residential area. Forget the neighbors, I would be concerned with needing to feed the bees constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by HTC View Post
    Now I have to buy my queens only from certain people? I read the PDF. I had to look up what a EHB certified queen breeder was. Still not sure. So does this mean one can not breed there own queens? Other thing how can any breeder insure the lines of a queen if she is open breed?
    You should call and ask Dave Miksa. It's an excellent question and I am sure he could give you an excellent answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast