Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile show me pics of your'' swarms''

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5292[/ATTACHSwarm in backyard 2012 (1).jpglarge HoneyBee Swarm (1).jpg

a couple of my mega swarms these kept me busy for some time
    love to see some of your best swarms................
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: show me pics of your'' swarms''

MEGA-SWARMS?!?!?! I guess! Them are some pretty good-sized ones!

OMG! Do tell how did you ever get them off? Did you find the queen first? Please describe!

Quote Originally Posted by CaBees View Post
    OMG! Do tell how did you ever get them off? Did you find the queen first? Please describe!
    yeah it took me two full 10 frame brood bodies and then some scared my wife silly lol

yes i could not believe it either but i was able to find the Queen on both mega swarms

image.jpg
    Small second swarm from a month ago. I gave them a queen cell and they're doing fine.

imagine the mail man reaction lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p_pwIPrGL4

My Mega Swarm. This hive has now made it through its second winter. It produced over 125 lbs of honey for me last year.

One of my hives swarmed 3 days after I split it. Lucky for me it was 20' away from my hives. Easy pickings.
    hjikfd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Belewsboy View Post
    One of my hives swarmed 3 days after I split it. Lucky for me it was 20' away from my hives. Easy pickings.
    hjikfd.jpg
    Belewsboy, judging by the redbuds in bloom, that's a REAL early swarm . . . Holy cow, why so early?? You must have to put your swarm traps out in January.

I've only had a few swarms being a fairly new beekeeper. Here is one that came from my own hives this year. I took the opportunity to divide this hive the following week as I did not want it at its current location and wanted splits; it was full of queen cells, supercede cells and bees. I learned from a class that if a swarm is intent in swarming and a queen is born after the first swarm takes the old queen, the bees will keep that queen from killing the other cells and get her to swarm too. That is why your hive could swarm and reswarm until all is lost! Bees are certainly amazing creatures!
    swarm.JPG

nice swarm Cabees ..

Quote Originally Posted by gonzoBee View Post
    nice swarm Cabees ..
    Thank you! Here is the one that got away..... I spooked the queen and up and away she and the bees went! I expect there will be a few more before the season ends...
    swarm that flew away.JPG

Picked up this fist size swarm today 50 feet from one of my hives. I believe it is a second swarm from the hive and yes there was a queen with them. Put them in a nuc. We'll see how they do. image.jpg

This was my mega-swarm from two years ago, last year they swarmed again and I caught them. These where the only two hive to make it thru winter and they are still boomer's.

Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

And when it came to rest...

That hive still made 2 supers of honey.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

way to go that's a great swarm,thanks for video

Pure luck That I walked up just then and thought to video it with my phone. Not something you see every day. Thank goodness.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

This is a basketball sized swarm my son and I picked up from a small oak tree in a lady's front yard a couple of weeks ago. Took them home and 2 hours later they swarmed again. This time straight up in a tree above the hive about 20 ft. Recaptured them and they're still in the hive.

swarm.jpg

Hey C10250...
    I started 2 packages in April last year, so I missed the flow and this last winter was my first. I went into winter with four hives and lost one. Due to the weather I was late on my first inspection...maybe middle of March. All 3 hives were absolutely huge. Noticed queen cells so I split all 3 of the hives. The picture was taken 3/31 and 3 days earlier was when I split my hives. I captured that swarm. Last week, another swarm, but by the time I approached it, they flew. Yesterday a neighbor called me about a swarm that flew past his house. Swarm #3. Never found that one. All of these swarms were from the parent splits. So I came out of winter with 3 booming hives, ended up with 6 hives and only 1 of them will bring in a crop...a Russian who is laying like crazy (and as of yesterday, no queen cells).
    I had no idea things happen so quickly in the spring and you really have to be on top of your game. I was checkerboarding, but I think the decision to swarm had already been made before I did my first inspection. Next year I will be more aware of the consequences of any delay to prevent swarms. Obviously I'm not a beekeeper...I'm a bee-releaser.
    Oh...and by the way...I think the redbuds are a little early and the poplars are a little behind this year. Its been a crazy spring with wide temeperature changes...75 one day and 40 the next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast