Default found bee tree now what

I understand the process of doing trap outs but the entrance to this tree is 30 ft up so I was wondering if a traditional funnel trap would be better than trying a Hogan style trap out, or would I be better off setting up a swarm trap and hope they find it when it swarms?

Default Re: found bee tree now what

-funnel trap = package bees with no queen...why would you bother climbing to a 30' high bee-tree hive entrance to save $75?
    -Hogan-style trap = you need to keep moving new frames of brood up, and boxes full of bees down, to be successful ... has its uses, but generally only to avoid liability, or when you're getting (well) paid.
    -Swarm trap = leave an empty box set up & hope they send off a swarm & move in....I think I'll go with that option over the other two, unless there's a really good reason (read $700+ payment waiting...or serious threat of liability) to mess with the bees in the tree.

...just my $0.02

Default Re: found bee tree now what

I don't know where on earth I would set one out there though what about a bait hive right underneath it anybody have any luck with something like that ? I talked to my neighbor and its had bees in it for 3 yrs it would be nice to have their genetics thought about getting a bucket truck from work and strapping a tree stand right over the hole and putting a permanent Hogan style trap on the tree stand and just leave it for a long time and then hopefully they will eventually build comb and put brood in it and then once they do that I can steal a frame of brood once in awhile to put in nucs and raise queens