Default top jar feeder question

Not sure if I should put screen on my top jar feeder , does it make it harder for the bees to get the syrup , on one hand a few bees clinging to the jar shouldn't be to much trouble but it would make it easier changing jars , probably wouldn't need as much protective gear on .

Default Re: top jar feeder question

If the holes are too big the syrup will drip all the way thru onto the hive bottom.
    But if the holes are too small the syrup will not be taken. It is a balancing act of how big to punch the holes.
    A small window screen to cover the jar lid will help when refilling the jars. No, the bees will drink thru the
    wire screen without any issue. I have tested this before by spraying water on the screen for the bees to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    does it make it harder for the bees to get the syrup , on one hand a few bees clinging to the jar shouldn't be to much trouble but it would make it easier changing jars , probably wouldn't need as much protective gear on .
    I am not sure if the screen will keep the bees from reaching the syrup. However if you put the feeder above the inner cover, they are not to defensive when pulling out the jars. I usually do this early in the morning and have not had any issues, without any gear.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

I put #5 hardware cloth on the inner cover (or other feeding spot) so I can pull the jar and refill without suiting up...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF