Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Newbie needs help!

716 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tom Brueggen 
#1 ·
I am a newbie...never done any of this. I am trying to catch my own swarm and I am starting out with a top bar hive. I have been posting on the Swarms and Top bar hive forums. Any advice would be great. Thanks

#3 ·
well...I have a top bar hive. I really want to catch my own swarm. I have put lemongrass oil on both my empty hive and my swarm trap. I saw a honeybee flying around yesterday. Is there anything I can do to convince the bee to bring the rest of it's crew to my house? lol! If I do by chance catch a swarm, do I still need to buy a queen or will she come with the swarm?

#4 ·
I have read you can place a piece of empty comb in there if you have it, to make the box smell like bees. By that will also invited pests.

Your swarm should have a queen with them. There are rare cases where a swarm can be queenless. After a swarm moves in, check back in a week to see if there are eggs. If so you should be queen right. On the note of eggs, there should only be one per cell. If you see multiple eggs per cell, the you need to read up on "laying workers".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.