Default Heating honey or syrup

Dadant flasheater
    Dadant & Sons Beekeeping Supplies and Candles
    CartCheckoutMy Account
    Top Catalog Honey/Wax Handling Packaging M00569
    $2,347.00
    M00569

Does anyone have or use one of these, wondering what size copper tubing is being used, 1/2" or 3/8" or

Default Re: Heating honey or syrup

Don't have one, but been pondering building one. I would think that 1/2 would be the minimun cool honeys viscosity would need larger tubes, and you would want a bit slower flow to ensure the right heat exchange. I was thinking a one with a hot and a cool side would be good for larger volumes of creamed honey......

What do people think of using copper tubing? Both honey and syrup are slightly acidic so should cause some leaching of copper into the liquid being heated. Sure brightens up my green colored oxidized honey sump heating coil. Fine to claim that the contact with copper pipe is only very brief, but reality is that there are times in many extracting operations, that the honey will sit for extended periods of time. Is copper a heavy metal tested for in commercial honey? Andrew

copper gives the best heat exchange,even Cook & Beals use copper tubing in there heat exchanger, but you maybe correct about a small amount of leaching

Quote Originally Posted by borada bee doc View Post
    What do people think of using copper tubing? Both honey and syrup are slightly acidic so should cause some leaching of copper into the liquid being heated. Sure brightens up my green colored oxidized honey sump heating coil. Fine to claim that the contact with copper pipe is only very brief, but reality is that there are times in many extracting operations, that the honey will sit for extended periods of time. Is copper a heavy metal tested for in commercial honey? Andrew
    ? Copper is copper, It has been used in some way, in just about every cooking, distilling, or brewing operation in the world, for centuries.

And lead is lead. Was used for years in plates and pipe, but we are smarter now. No reason to use something questionable if an economical replacement is available. The food inspector in 1990 was after us to replace our copper coils with 304 SS.

Crazy Roland