Thread: best tbh feeder

Default best tbh feeder

I know opinions vary, but I have a package coming next week, and wondered the best method for feeding a tbh, my original plan was open feeding away from the hive, but it's been cool off and on, and I don't want to incourage robbing from my other lang style hive.

Default Re: best tbh feeder

I place a Boardman Feeder down in the hive with them. I usually position it behind the false back, letting just the entrance to the feeder poke out under the board into the main hive. That lets me change it out without most of the girls knowing I'm even there.

Sondra

You will get best results feeding with an upside down jar feeder as close to the cluster as possible. When the weather is cooler they won't move too far. I place the jar a couple inches from the cluster.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

how about making some fondant patties and placing them on the bottom of the hive?

is that acceptable too?
    Zone4A
    “We can love completely what we cannot completely understand.” -Maclean

Depends on what you are feeding for. Fondant patties would work for winter feeding but isn't going to do much if you are wanting say a package to build new comb.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
    Depends on what you are feeding for. Fondant patties would work for winter feeding but isn't going to do much if you are wanting say a package to build new comb.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. that makes sense.

so, spring time = sugar water

fall = fondant/sugar water....et al
    Zone4A
    “We can love completely what we cannot completely understand.” -Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
    You will get best results feeding with an upside down jar feeder as close to the cluster as possible. When the weather is cooler they won't move too far. I place the jar a couple inches from the cluster.

Mike
    Will they break cluster to go down and get it? I was hoping there was a way I could feed them above the cluster from outside of the hive with some sort of jar feeder so I'm not opening it up everyday to feed.

They will break cluster to go down if its close to them. Opening the hive is no proble since you can open from 6 or 8 bars behind the cluster and reach in and grab the jar. This is a very minimum disterbence. They won't pay any attention to you whatsoever. Since the top bars are tight against each other it makes top feeding difficult. People have made devices to do such things but I always wonder why take away the simplicity of the TBH?

Mike

I have a half gallon jar on a package I installed about 10 days ago on the inside of the hive, but when I put them in I also had some leftover fondant from last year. Not too much, maybe a two pounds give or take. They goobled up the Fondant (finally finished it today) but still have half of the thin syrup left. And they are on there 7th bar of comb, so fondant must not slow them down much. Normally you want thin syrup since it is closer to nectar so it stimulates buildup, but in a package they have no choice but to build up, so I guess that is why it worked. It was perfect timing though for the package. The weather got nice and everything turned green about two days before the package.

It shouldn't take long to build up, it's been 50-70 through the days and 40-50 at night, alot of trees, and dandilions in bloom been green here about 2 weeks, so I think they will find nectar real soon, it's the rain keepin them in with no stores that I'm really worried about.

Any opinions about placing a couple of large baggies inside your TBH with 1:1 sugar water?

Baggies will work, but jars work as well.