Default Beekeeper 18 years experience.

Recently I have learned that the owner of the the operation I am currently running is going to shut everything down and sell off what he owns. He is 75 and is ready to retire. (I can't really blame him.) This leaves me in a strange predicament. I know bees, as much as anyone can actually know a bee. I was born into beekeeping and have been doing this since I could carry a hive body. It's in my blood. Currently I am managing 2000 hives. All the day to day operations and processing. Unfortunately it will all be gone in a few months, so now I am looking elsewhere. I would like to continue beekeeping and honestly I could use the change of scenery. So the world is my oyster. I am willing to travel just about anywhere in the world, keeping bees, teaching, running another operation, you name it. You can contact me via my profile if you are interested.

Default Re: Beekeeper 18 years experience.

Buy him out. Have him carry you.

Best of luck CBees. I hope someone picks you up.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Buy him out. Have him carry you.
    This. If he agrees to owner finance you, you'll get to keep your job and the payments you make to him will provide a nice retirement annuity for him.

Brian
    Hobby Beekeeper - Second Year - Two Hives

That option was discussed and the answer was "That still leaves my head here." He wants out completely. There is a little more back story to the situation than I would like to post here since it is rather personal. I considered the option of an FSA loan, but that was a no-go also. FSA isn't doling out loans to beekeepers as much as I would like these days and with 2000+ hives, enough boxes to run 4000, 10,000sf building, extracting equipment, also a full fledged processing facility, the price tag is quite significant when bought as a whole. The operation is running like a top and would be a good buy for anyone looking to expand. (Not trying to shamelessly plug for a sale) I just don't have the option of capital or taking out a business loan to give him what he needs to get out.

I would love to have an operation like that. I hope one day I'll be able to lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CBees View Post
    So the world is my oyster. I am willing to travel just about anywhere in the world, keeping bees, teaching, running another operation, you name it. You can contact me via my profile if you are interested.
    You almost certainly qualify for an Australian or New Zealand emigrant visa in the job catagory of apiarist.
    Zone 8a at 4300ft. Langstroth. 4 Hives. AHB region.

Just sent you a PM

Cbees, are you surrounded by heavy Tallow?
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Keith, what a quaint way to ask someone if they are overweight?

Quote Originally Posted by thenance007 View Post
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by thenance007 View Post
    Haha, yes I am surrounded by heavy tallow, just not the kind that sticks to your bones. Taking care of so many hives has a way of melting it off ;-) On a more serious note, we are surrounded by miles of tallow trees which will be blooming in 3 to 4 weeks with many smaller tallow flows from a second and third set of blooms of tallow. The smell is very pungent, but quite pleasant. It is our main nectar source really and we can avg 150 to 180lbs.
    Last edited by CBees; 04-22-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBees View Post
    That option was discussed and the answer was "That still leaves my head here." He wants out completely. There is a little more back story to the situation than I would like to post here since it is rather personal. I considered the option of an FSA loan, but that was a no-go also. FSA isn't doling out loans to beekeepers as much as I would like these days and with 2000+ hives, enough boxes to run 4000, 10,000sf building, extracting equipment, also a full fledged processing facility, the price tag is quite significant when bought as a whole. The operation is running like a top and would be a good buy for anyone looking to expand. (Not trying to shamelessly plug for a sale) I just don't have the option of capital or taking out a business loan to give him what he needs to get out.

Sounds like you're his number one. If after many years he doesn't respect or embrace your value, I suggest leaving him high and dry. At 75, he's not likely to run the business and less likely to attract someone capable of performing the day to day responsibilities of an operation of that size on the auction block. He may be valuing the business more than the sum of the inventory. Since within a season, a beekeeping operation can be reduced to the salvage value of used gear, you may find yourself in a much more equitable position after an absence.

The most important aspect of any and all negotiations is the ability to walk away.

Good luck.

Just sent you a PM.

I sent you a PM.

You had me at 150-180 in spring. Makes for nice bee building. I would bet you could fine the investors to buy this guy out.