Default Airing Out Frames and Boxes after Moth Treatment

I store extra boxes and brood frames in my garage. I use moth crystals for stored brood and honey super frames. I also freeze brood frames before storing them. Two questions?

1. Do I really need to use crystals to store honey supers knowing the moths prefer brood frames and I store frames in the garage?

2. If I get a swarm and all my equipment is stored with moth crystals, what is the least time I should air the equipment out before using it for a swarm?
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Default Re: Airing Out Frames and Boxes after Moth Treatment

Do I really need to use crystals to store honey supers
    NO
    If you are using reg. moth crystals that you put n closets
    I'd check the contents,There is a specific type(s) for bees
    you could have messed up
    Sorry I'm having a brain lapse or I could name the product

MDS,
    I've wondered the same thing as you. I went ahead and just uncovered my supers a week or two ago and am going to keep an eye on them. I'm not terribly worried about moths just yet, especially as the smell from the moth crystals is still in the air. You do need to use something to protect honey supers though, we had several ruined a couple of years ago. We also accidentally ruined some ourselves by using moth balls instead of moth crystals. Never use moth balls.

I think that moth crystal and moth balls contain one of two active 'ingredients.' The first is naphthalene, which has an oil-like odor with a sweetness to it, and the second is p-dichlorobenzene (a.k.a. 1,4-dichlorobenzene), which has a sweeter smell, with a oil-like underlying odor (it's used in men's restrooms to mask some odors on wall-mounted fixtures). I do not know which of these is the least objectionable for use with comb, perhaps someone can jump in on that.

The use of crystals doesn't always mean that you're using the least objectionable of the two substances, nor does the use of mothballs. You need to read the label.

Paradichlorobenzene (PDB) is the approved compound.
    In my experience, frames with comb that has only been used for honey (no brood) can be stored without any chemicals. I put down a pair of concrete blocks, put a metal queen excluder on them, then stack the supers on it and place another excuder on the top. The metal excluders keep mice from building nests in the stack. I place my stacks in a barn where they get sunlight but stay dry.
    I store my brood comb on my hives…but am sure you can use PDB to keep them as well.
    I would air them out for at least three or four days before using.
    All…just my opinion.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

MDS- I stacked and sealed all of my extracted honey supers. I also added Paramoth(granulated crystals) on a small paper plate and then sealed them up and placed them in my shed. Which I kept an eye on for mice over the winter. I am currently "airing" my frames out now(3 days so far) and the smell is going away. I was told to air them out for about a week. juzzer

I appreciate the replies. Appears I should air out some equipment prior to swarm season just in case I need it. The only time, so far that I have had moth issue is when a hive was weak. I have had not issue while the equipment was stored in the garage, put ordered and used moth crystals from a bee equipment supply just in case.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

>1. Do I really need to use crystals to store honey supers knowing the moths prefer brood frames and I store frames in the garage?

I would put them where they will freeze. Hard. NOT the garage, where they might not freeze as hard. IF you use crystals use the "approved" carcinogen, PDB not the naphthalene. But the wax moths in MO died last fall and won't be back until at least June and the boxes should be on the hives by then...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswaxmoths.htm

>2. If I get a swarm and all my equipment is stored with moth crystals, what is the least time I should air the equipment out before using it for a swarm?

PDB is lipophilic. It loves wax. It will never completely dissapate... but it will MOSTLY dissipate in a few days... not soon enough to use for a swarm...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >1. Do I really need to use crystals to store honey supers knowing the moths prefer brood frames and I store frames in the garage?

I would put them where they will freeze. Hard. NOT the garage, where they might not freeze as hard. IF you use crystals use the "approved" carcinogen, PDB not the naphthalene. But the wax moths in MO died last fall and won't be back until at least June and the boxes should be on the hives by then...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswaxmoths.htm

>2. If I get a swarm and all my equipment is stored with moth crystals, what is the least time I should air the equipment out before using it for a swarm?

PDB is lipophilic. It loves wax. It will never completely dissapate... but it will MOSTLY dissipate in a few days... not soon enough to use for a swarm...
    Agreed. It can be a carcinogen (exposure required, of course), and I've seen it show up in paraffin samples months after exposure. Granted that paraffin isn't identical to beeswax, but it is more than close enough in behavior to behave similarly.