Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Monkton, MD
    Posts
    39

    Default Taxes, schedule F or C?

    I was just thinking that a sideliner header would be good. My current question is about taxes, I am considering whether or not it is worth calling my bee income a business (thus requiring a schedule C form) or just hobby income. It looks advantageous to call it a business, since I could deduct a bunch of stuff as business expenses, but I really don't make enough money from the bees to live off of. I'm not quitting my day job. And then I thought, 'wait, is beekeeping farming?' If so, farming is treated differently in the tax world, and I don't know if beekeeping qualifies or if it would be advantageous.

    Bottom line, please make a sideliner section, and any tax related info would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Athens, OH
    Posts
    2,721

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    I filed a Schedule F for the first time this year and it really helped take the sting out of my bee expenditures.
    Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company. -Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,693

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    If you have someone who prepares your taxes for you ask them if you should file a Schedule F:Profit or Loss From Farming.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Monkton, MD
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    sqkcrk, I'm afraid I do my own taxes with Turbotax. I am both too cheap to pay someone else, and I feel that it teaches me what to keep track of for deductions. Without this yearly self-imposed suffering, I would never bother to save receipts.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,459

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    Ruthz: start a thread on the commercial forum asking what constitutes a legitimate business in which a schedule F is appropriate and what the IRS might consider a tax "dodge". There are some knowledgable folks on this forum that can give you the answers you need. Pay your "uncle" only what he has coming and not a dollar more.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    4,657

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    my primary vocation requires the use of a cpa, and when we examined the pros and cons of establishing beekeeping (farming) as a bona fide sideline there were more pros in my situation.

    i ended up forming an llc.

    the test for irs purposes isn't necessarily that one makes a profit, but rather that there is a reasonable expectation that there will be sales and that the sideline will produce income by the end of the first five years.

    it may not make sense to take it this far unless you are paying a lot of income tax with your primary vocation.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,245

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    hobbyist or sideliner coming to the commercial site to ask and to learn.
    but coming to the commercial site to tell us how to keep bees . . . all opinions welcome ha ha
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Monkton, MD
    Posts
    39

    Default Taxes, schedule F or C?

    I am a sideliner trying to figure out tax stuff. Is beekeeping considered farming by the IRS? If so, in what situations is it appropriate to file a Schedule F versus a Schedule C? Beekeeping isn't how I make my living (yet), but I would like to take any deductions that would be legitimate. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this? Thanks in advance.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Taxes, schedule F or C?

    The IRS doesn't care if your farm is small, only if it has a prospect of making a profit.

    While building up, it is wise to file sched F so that your losses and offset your other income.

    If you're not sure it's going to make a difference, calculate it both ways and file the one you prefer.

    If you intend to make a profit, use of Sched F is legitimate.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Millbury, MA, USA
    Posts
    1,849

    Default Re: Taxes, schedule F or C?

    I use schedule F. I am a sideliner.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fresno Ca USA
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthz View Post
    sqkcrk, I'm afraid I do my own taxes with Turbotax. I am both too cheap to pay someone else, and I feel that it teaches me what to keep track of for deductions. Without this yearly self-imposed suffering, I would never bother to save receipts.
    Cheap things are of no Value, Valuable things are not Cheap, but having a professional prepare your taxes will save you ten fold! How can you NOT afford one?

    Beekeeping is an Agriculture active you MUST file a schedule F, besides you want to, farming has better tax advantages that a schedule “C” type business. You also need to discuss IRS Code Sec 183 “activity engaged with the intend to make a profit” with a CPA that knows beekeeping, ask someone in your area for a reference.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    1,980

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    easiest way to decide, call the irs three times and ask, the reason I say three times is that its an odd number. the first time they will give you one answer the second time they will give you another answer, what they give you the third time usually will match one of the first two. take that fork in the road.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    lee county, fl, usa
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    How did I miss this thread? I am a sideliner starting 2012 and took my taxes to cpa. I wanted a Farm form, he did it on C. Miscommunication, I think. I told one person who didn't pass it on that I wanted farm form. Anyway, the owner of the tax office said C or F didn't matter this year, and next year we will start with F form.

    I ended up in a loss, and it does make me feel better about what I spend on my equipment and supplies, that they are tax deductible. I hope that I will start making profit long before 5 years.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fresno Ca USA
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    How did I miss this thread? I am a sideliner starting 2012 and took my taxes to cpa. I wanted a Farm form, he did it on C. Miscommunication, I think. I told one person who didn't pass it on that I wanted farm form. Anyway, the owner of the tax office said C or F didn't matter this year, and next year we will start with F form.
    If your CPA (and I dont think he or she really is one) said it didn't matter if you filed as a "C" or an "F" find another CPA as fast as you can. What part of farming does he or she not understand? I've been a CPA for over 38 years and that's the sadest thing I've heard.
    The implications of filing the wrong schedule are too numerous it discuss here.
    Not only are you missing out on farm deductions not available to “C” type businesses i.e. writing off your hives as a single purpose agriculture structure in one year verse depreciating the cost over 30 years…
    You also increase your risk of being audited 10 fold by filing the wrong form. Filing a schedule "F" is not an option, it is a requirement if you're in the bee business.
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Albans, Vermont
    Posts
    5,477

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    Quote Originally Posted by Shouse View Post
    Not only are you missing out on farm deductions not available to “C” type businesses i.e. writing off your hives as a single purpose agriculture structure in one year verse depreciating the cost over 30 years…
    And not having to file quarterly if your income from farming is a high enough % of your income.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Camarillo, CA, USA
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    Also, sch C requires quarterly tax payments
    sch F , allows annual tax payments
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,693

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    "quarterly tax payments"? Or, do you mean quarterly self employment taxes?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    lee county, fl, usa
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    Quote Originally Posted by Shouse View Post
    If your CPA (and I dont think he or she really is one) said it didn't matter if you filed as a "C" or an "F" find another CPA as fast as you can. What part of farming does he or she not understand? I've been a CPA for over 38 years and that's the sadest thing I've heard.
    The implications of filing the wrong schedule are too numerous it discuss here.
    Not only are you missing out on farm deductions not available to “C” type businesses i.e. writing off your hives as a single purpose agriculture structure in one year verse depreciating the cost over 30 years…
    You also increase your risk of being audited 10 fold by filing the wrong form. Filing a schedule "F" is not an option, it is a requirement if you're in the bee business.
    Well that's a bit scary. So a lousy cpa, though he is certified. When I picked up my taxes the first time I pointed out I wanted schedule f, noting I'd said that to begin with. They said they'd redo, come back on such and such day. Went back, still on schedule C and he insisted that would be alright. So filed that way.
    Maybe I find a good cpa and amend?
    I'm very small 2012. Ended up with loss (less than 1k). I think that was the reason he gave me for leaving it on sch C. I have no idea if that's true, but I shall be asking around for a good cpa and look into re-filing.

    Thanks so much.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Posts
    303

    Default Re: Taxes, schedule F or C?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthz View Post
    ...I am considering whether or not it is worth calling my bee income a business (thus requiring a schedule C form) or just hobby income. It looks advantageous to call it a business, since I could deduct a bunch of stuff as business expenses...
    You CAN deduct expenses even if it only a hobby (to an extent) ...

    http://www.irs.gov/publications/p529/ar02.html
    Hobby Expenses
    You can generally deduct hobby expenses, but only up to the amount of hobby income. A hobby is not a business because it is not carried on to make a profit.

    In other words, "hobbyists can deduct their hobby-related expenses only from the income the hobby generates"

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Albans, Vermont
    Posts
    5,477

    Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    "quarterly tax payments"? Or, do you mean quarterly self employment taxes?
    Both Mark. If you file by March 1 you don't have to file your FWH, Soc.Sec, Med, quarterly. Only once...with no penalty.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads